“An enemy is someone whose story you do not know.” This play is a celebration of three cultures that often live in distrust and misunderstanding, but that have much in common and indeed have much to be learned from each other. The framework in which the tales of wisdom are told is that of a Caravan whose sole purpose is to select the next Sultan from the current Sultan’s two sons. The trick is that they are seeking the answer to a riddle: What is the most powerful force in the world? The wisest answer given upon their return from a year-long quest will become the Sultan. Through dramatic and comic moments the wisdom of Faith in its many faces and aspects is shown; and we find that all Faith stems from the same basic wisdom. Although not a musical, there are three traditional songs, one from each of the Faiths involved: Amazing Grace, Eid Moon (Eider Chand), and Hava Nagila (Let Us Rejoice).
This play is a gift from its author toward creating peace and understanding in our world. If your group – amateur, educational, religious, or even professional – wishes to use the play for that purpose in a non-commercial setting (meaning no admission is charged and/or no fee received for doing a performance), we will be happy to license you for non-royalty performances. If you wish to produce it in a commercial setting (charging admission or a performance fee in a tour-type situation), we can license you with royalty performances. All uses must first make application to us, below.
“Caravan” is also available without royalty charge to use within the school classroom (no public performances), religious classes and instruction, or family activity. All uses must first make application to us, below.
- Minimum of 8 performers of either gender
- Minimal set and costumes
- About 45 minutes
- ORDER # 3155
Available for ALL producing groups.
REVIEWS and COMMENTS:
- Perusal Pages File Available here: Caravan PERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.)
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3154a : $20.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) (There are three folk/religious songs used in the show and they are also included in the script.)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3154d : FREE with no admission price. (or 5% of gate, if there is an admission price. Upon receipt of your email order informing us of your admission prices, we will issue a PayPal Invoice for a minimum deposit against your gate receipts, or issue a contract free of charge if you are charging no admission.)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3150e : FREE with no admission price. (or 5% of gate, if there is an admission price. Upon receipt of your email order informing us of your admission prices, we will issue a PayPal Invoice for a minimum deposit against your gate receipts, or issue a contract free of charge if you are charging no admission.)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Plan-B Theatre PREMIERE READING (director Jerry Rapier) — Salt Lake City, Utah — 2010
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a play in celebration of Judaism, Christianity & Islam
Carol Lynn Pearson
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Caravan is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of