Book & Lyrics by Heather Young
Music and Arrangements by Lex de Azevedo
Based on the novel by Jack Weyland
© Deseret Book Company, Licensed here exclusively, by permission
The classic LDS musical is available once more for production by LDS Wards, Stakes and other groups!
The blockbuster LDS Novel loved by millions is a hit musical. The story of Charly, hiding her deep secret as a fallen woman, meeting Sam, a returned LDS Missionary, and her conversion, their furious, whirlwind courtship, and their Temple marriage has been a staple of the LDS entertainment scene for decades. This exciting, heartwarming and sobering musical brings the story to life on the stage in a stunning way.
- Characters: 3M 3W + ensemble of 12-16
- About 2 hours
- Settings: Several suggested setting
- Costumes: 1980s or Contemporary
- Order # 2079
Available for all groups.
REVIEWS & COMMENTS:
Reviewed June 12, 2016 by Stacy Schimbeck.
“I love a good story. My favorite stories have guns, explosions, car chases. I’m a dude, I like that kind of stuff. Nothing like a good old race along a heart-stopping plot that just moves you through the story. Nevertheless, I have to admit–I have a problem. I really love a good love story. You know the kind that make you blush, smile, then thrill with a first kiss. I’m a sucker for them.
The Brigham’s Playhouse production of Jack Weyland’s 1980 novel seduced me…The play and lyrics, written by Heather Young with music by Lex de Azevedo is a moving and engaging story that sucks you in, the way good stories will.
Okay, there are no car chases–but there is fishing! There are no explosions. Instead, you get the emotional turmoil of two young people who meet, fall in love, and ride the amusement park ride called life…Life is a ride, when we get on we don’t quite know what to expect. I expected something else. I expected a comfortable story, an old friend. What I got was much more. This play was an insightful, funny, provocative, and moving story that gripped me and carried me along…I left the show better than I arrived–Charly, A Love Song is an enjoyable ride.”
Jack Weyland, author of the original book upon which the musical is based, recently traveled from Rexburg, Idaho, to St. George, Utah, to see the Brigham’s Playhouse production of this musical. Here is what he had to say:
“To celebrate my birthday, Sherry and I drove to St. George, Utah so we could attend the musical “Charly, A Love Song” (music and arrangements by Lex de Azevedo, book and lyrics by Heather Young.) I had seen it years ago and loved it tremendously. Even so, probably because of years watching people I care about go through hard times, I was not prepared for the impact it had on me and Sherry. We were very much moved by the music and by the skilled actors and actresses who did such a good job bringing this story to life. Jamie Young, the director, added innovative touches which added to our understanding and our empathy. During intermission and after the performance, many in the audience came up and told me what this story had meant to them. I will always be grateful for what they said.“
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available CharlyPERUSAL (The PDF file contains Act One of this 2-act musical)
- Celebrate Life
- Something Wrong
- Someone Was Listening
- Wait n’ See
- Something Wrong (reprise)
- Sam’s Song
- Another Me
- High Volume Dating
- Charly (reprise)
- Past Time
- More House For the Money
- If You Should Leave Me
- Redeeming Love
- The Blessing
- The Blessing (reprise)
- Something Wrong (reprise)
- Song of the Seasons
- Redeeming Love Montage
- The Letter
- Celebrate Life (reprise)
- Redeeming Love/Charly (reprises)
SONG SAMPLE CLIPS from the original cast album
The Original Cast Album CD to CHARLY: A Love Song can be purchased HERE.
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #2079a : $30.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2079d : quoted on application (For each successive performance) (CLICK License App BELOW)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2079e : quoted on application (For each successive performance) (CLICK License App BELOW)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- Piano-Vocal Score (in PDF format) — Order #2079b : $30.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- PerformanceTraks CD (or mp3 download link) — Order #2079h : $250.00 (May not be distributed to anyone outside of your production’s cast and Production Staff. This will be sent to you through a download link. The fabulous Tracks were created by Taylor Ross Williams and used for Brigham’s Playhouse in their recent 2016 production.)
NOTE ON SHEET MUSIC OF INDIVIDUAL SONGS: If you are looking for sheet music for a particular song from the show, we can make that available to you for a fee. We have had a lot of demand for this and would prefer to meet your needs and get you the song you want at a more nominal price.
- Brigham’s Playhouse, St. George, Utah — June, 2016
- Produced in subsequent years by numerous stakes and wards and community theatres
- Premiered in a Utah & Western States Tour in 1984
CHARLY: A Love Song
Book and Lyrics by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Charly: A Love Song is presented through special arrangement with Zion Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by ZT, www.ziontheatricals.com”
from the catalog of