Book & Lyrics by Heather Young
Music and Arrangements by Lex de Azevedo
© Deseret Book Company, Licensed here exclusively, by permission
The classic LDS musical is available once more for production by LDS Wards, Stakes and other groups!
Approaching her 16th birthday, Debbie is unsettled and unsure — about everything. Adolescence has really gotten her bewildered. She spends all her money on an expensive journal, in the hopes that she can keep track of all the things she wants and hopes for and despairs over. She names it Solomon. She talks to it, and it takes on the personality of a Young Man. Debbie dates. She despairs. Debbie searches for her testimony. She despairs but writes a letter to Boyd K. Packer. She dates and despairs again. She teaches primary, the plans a Youth Conference, she gets a job at the local hospital caring for sick children — after several years she begins to find herself through the wise counsel of Solomon, her anthropomorphic Journal. She sorts through the hazards of adolescence. She navigates the paths of conscience and desire. She lives.
- Characters: (5M 3F + 8 Dancers (4M 4F) (who also play small roles)
- About 2 hours
- Settings: Fluid setting with projection screen or scrim and multi-level platforms.
- Costumes: Contemporary costumes (or set it in the 1980s)
- Order # 2078
Available for all groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: Debbie PERUSAL
- The Original Cast Album on CD is available HERE. (The order of the songs on the old LP was not in show order. The new CD is in show order.)
- Song To Solomon 2:24 (in the beginning of the show this song is sung three different times from three different parts of the song. For the recording all three parts were joined together.)
- How Can I Know How Far I Can Go? 6:19
- I Wonder If He Loves Me 3:42
- If Someone Really Cared 2:52
- Popularity 5:45
- An Ordinary Man 3:29
- Closet Song 4:05 (Cut from the show, but still on the album as a BONUS TRACK)
- Questions To Boyd K. Packer 2:04
- Pure And Simple No 4:10
- Here Comes Love Again 1:50
- Once Upon A Star 2:15
- Pomp And Circumstance 2:50
- Once Upon A Star (Reprise)
- When A Woman Loves A Man 3:55
- How Far Can I Go? 3:07
- Where Are You Now? 3:55
- New 2:54
- How Far Can I Go? (Reprise) 2:24
- Song To Solomon (reprise) 2:10
- Curtain Call & Playout
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #2078a : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score (in PDF format) — Order #2078b : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Vocal Book PDF — Order #2078c : $15.00 — The collection of music lead sheets from which the performers can learn their music.
- PerformanceTraks CD (or mp3 Download link) — Order #2078h : $200.00 (Brand new tracks available. After your purchase, this show has PerformanceTrakSupport. We change selected keys, tempo, and dynamics at your request. An additional $25 fee [total] will be billed for any and all changes. These tracks are produced by Taylor Williams of Washington, Utah. He has also written a few shows for Zion Theatricals as well as Leicester Bay Theatricals.) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2078d : quoted on application (For each successive performance) (CLICK License App BELOW)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2078e :
quoted on application (For each successive performance) (CLICK License App BELOW)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
NOTE ON SHEET MUSIC OF INDIVIDUAL SONGS: If you are looking for sheet music for a particular song from the show, we can make that available to you for a small fee. We have had a lot of demand for this and, while we love to make the big bucks, we would prefer to just meet your needs and get you the song you want at a more nominal price, which in the end is better for you and easier for us.
Special Edition music book — The Vocal Selections for Debbie: Diary of a Mormon Girl in a PDF file contains thirteen songs from the show in piano-vocal arrangements (which include Chord Symbols). Order #2078bvs : $19.00 (which allows you to print out one copy of the Vocal Selections PDF which you must keep in your possession) + Maine sales tax, and shipping/email charges.
Debbie: Diary of a Mormon Girl
Book and Lyrics by
(by special arrangement with Deseret Book Company)
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Debbie: Diary of a Mormon Girl is presented through special arrangement with Zion Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by ZT, www.ziontheatricals.com”
- Gettysburg California Ward –April 2017
- Produced in subsequent years by numerous stakes and wards and community theatres
- Premiered in a California, Utah & Western States Tour in 1978-1980
from the catalog of