a tragedy by Thomas F. Rogers
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, LDS Church Groups)
This first ever literary treatment of the Mountain Meadows Massacre brings to light the complex and tragic circumstances that underlie the catastrophe that in 1857 cast a shadow on the Latter-day Saints. Even today some church members fear to know the particulars, while agenda driven detractors only add to the general suspicion. Faithful to Juanita Brooks’ thorough and accurate scholarship, FIRE IN THE BONES completely exonerates Brigham Young as the massacre’s instigator, while still suggesting the tragic dilemma into which well-meaning persons, like John D. Lee, are sometimes thrust and the sacrifices that a community, right or wrong, may require of them.The play is a study in tainted conscience and mob psychology, of people’s paranoia in the wake of an anticipated extermination, as during the Utah War. In their temperament and their fate, its characters resemble the zealots of every society and every age. Such people–ancient or modern–make tragedy as timely as ever. With grateful acknowledgement to Juanita Brooks, whose valiant life’s work called the subject of John D. Lee to our attention and provided the impeccable research that underlies almost every line of the script.
- 2 hours
- 14M 5W 14 extras (doubling recommended)
- Space setting with props
- Order # 2011
Available for ALL producing groups.
The PERUSAL PAGES FILE can be downloaded and/or read by clicking FireInTheBonesPERUSALPAGES. It is a PDF file of the first act of the play, with all pertinent information included.
- This and other plays by Thomas F. Rogers may be read in the new publication: The Plays of Thomas F. Rogers Volume 3 : Crises In Faith (the SEVEN plays included are: Huebener, First Trump, Reunion, Set Apart, The Anointed (a musical theatre play), and Petunia Passes (a short play). You can purchase the seven play volume, Crises In Faith for $16.00 (saving $3.99 off the list price) and getting to read all seven of Tom Rogers’ plays about the Latter-day Saints. A great way for inexpensive perusing!
PRODUCTION MATERIAL AVAILABLE:
- Script in PDF format — Order #2011a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2011d : $75
- Second Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2011e : $65
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- ZTPerformanceLicenceApp2016 (in PDF format) to download our Performance License Application. No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. (We are working on an ONLINE PDF filler form)
- Coming Soon
This title is available exclusively from