(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
On a wet and dreary day in 1858, Charles Dickens finds shelter from a storm in the home of one Phillip Pirrip. Intrigued by the unusual artifacts that decorate his home he entreats Phillip to tell him the story behind them. The 65 year-old Phillip begins telling the story of his childhood, when he was known as Pip, in what is soon to become Dickens’ newest novel, “GREAT EXPECTATIONS.” Considered one of Dickens’ finest works, “GREAT EXPECTATIONS” is the coming of age story of the orphan Pip who falls in love with the unreachable Estella. In order to win her he desires to raise himself from a blacksmith’s apprentice to a gentleman. When the means to do so miraculously appear, he travels to London, with expectations to become a gentleman. In spite of his new-found wealth and position Estella remains unreachable. When Pip learns that his mysterious benefactor is none other than a common criminal, whom he had aided when he was a child, he realizes that he can no longer accept his support. This signals the end of his financial expectations and a final realization that Estella will forever remain unreachable. Years later, Pip and Estella meet once again. The years of hard experience have softened Estella and brought her to the realization that Pip is her first and only love. The unique construction of the script allows for a fluid staging with Dickens and Phillip wandering through the story — experiencing and living it. The haunting and unforgettable musical score adds rich texture to this classic story of love and loss.
- 9M 4W 3B 1G + chorus.
- Unit Setting with 9 locations.
- Period Costumes.
- ORDER #3004
Available for ALL producing groups. This is a PREMIERE play available for Immediate Production.
(Leicester Bay Theatricals is acting as AGENT for this musical. It is not considered a PUBLISHED musical, but one that is “in-process”. You will actually be negotiating the rights with the authors themselves, as we at LBT will be referring you to them.)
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this musical: GreatExpectationsPERUSAL
- ACT ONE
- #1 — Prelude & Will I Forget You? Orchestra & Mr. & Mrs. Pirrup
- #2 — I Want You Home (Pip weeps at the grave of his parents) Young Pip
- #3 — I’d Be Happy Then Young Pip & Joe Gargery
- #4 — You Must Break His Heart Miss Havisham & Young Pip
- #5 — Just A Boy! Young Estella
- #6 — I’ll Find A Way Young Pip
- #7 — Trio Miss Havisham, Young Pip, Young Estella
- #8 — Great Expectations (Pip has just been contacted by Jaggers about his fortune — the dream begins) Jaggers, Pip, Joe Gargery and Townesfolke
- #9 — It’s London Town Phillip, Estella & Londoners
- #10 — A Serious Look Herbert & Phillip
- #11 — Women! Drummle, Phillip, Herbert and the Finches
- #12 — Can You Imagine?/Great Expectations (Reprise) Jaggers, Joe & Phillip
- #13 — I’m Your Da! Magwitch
- #13a — Act One Playout
- ACT TWO
- #14 — So Cold Miss Havisham
- #15 — Will I Forget You? Phillip & Estella
- #16 — Fire The Canon! Wemmick & Phillip
- #17 — Twenty Years Ago Wemmick
- #18 — Twenty Years Ago (Reprise) Magwitch
- #19 — Escape!
- #20 — Will I Forget You? (reprise) Mr. & Mrs. Pirrup, Young Pip and Young Estella and Phillip and Estella
- #21 — Curtain Call Company
- #22 — Exit Music
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3004a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #3004b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #3004c : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3004d : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3004e : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Professional Royalty quoted on application.
Well, it could be your name listed here, soon!
- Reading done at the SCERA Showhouse in 1992
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
(based on the Dickens novel)
Book, Music and Lyrics by
Neil K. Newell
C. Michael Perry
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Great Expectations is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of