a one-man play by James Arrington
We all know and love J Golden –– or Uncle Golden, as he was called by many. He credited everything to his ‘cowboy’ upbringing. But that didn’t always wash with the men and women he served alongside of, or spoke to through his many talks. He was one-of-a-kind, hell-bent-for-leather Gospel-preaching, Savior-loving General Authority. He never minced words and usually found the humorous side of things–– and spoke the truth, always –– which most often got him into a lot of hot water. But then we love him. Not only because he could say things in ways that we wish we could, sometimes, but because he was always honest. You knew where you stood. Your audiences will love the slightly irreverent J GOLDEN.
As performed by Bruce Ackerman, Dalin Christensen, and Marvin Payne
Can be adapted into a reader’s theatre format using additional performers
- 1M solo show (Can be adapted into a reader’s theatre format using additional performers)
- Simple setting with props/projections, a podium
- Costumes of the mid-20th Century
- About 90 minutes
- ORDER #2083
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: JGoldenPERUSAL
- Or you can read the entire play (along with many other plays in our catalog) in the Anthology: Saints On Stage (Available from Zarahemla Books)
- The VIDEO below is the first 30 minutes of the show as originally performed by Dalin Christiansen in the Historic Provo Tabernacle, when it was still used for exciting live concerts and performances as well as Church gatherings. Now, of course, it is a lovely Temple.
The video version of the play is available at: James Arrington Productions
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #2083a : $20.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2083d : $50 (for the first or only performance)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2083e : $40 (For each successive performance)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Extensive tours over the years to many locales throughout the Church
- Nelke Experimental Theatre, BYU — 1982
from the catalog of