Play and Musical Publisher and Performance Rights Licensing Organization
ZT carries plays and musicals for Professional, Educational and Amateur/Church theatrical markets. All material is centered in the Latter-day Saint culture. Doctrine and History are a part of that culture.
Our catalog is expanding. We will be adding titles constantly.
All of our scripts and scores are available only through e-publishing format. Everything is in a PDF file: Scripts, Piano-vocal Scores, Vocal Books, Orchestrations (except for some perusal and production materials like CDs, and a few scripts which we have published print copies of, as noted on each title’s webpage)
2021 Full Catalog PDF: 2021 ZT WEBCatalogFEB
2021 Titles List PDF: 2021 ZT WEBCatalogFEB
- The Zion Theatricals Sheet Music from our Scores title list in PDF format: ZTSheetMusicScores
PERFORMANCE LICENSING APPLICATION
Licensing and Royalty Application for LDS GroupsThis will help us give you a quote for your royalty fees and rehearsal/performance materials.
Please note that all postage rates are quoted for shipment within the United States only. For all International shipments, please email for a quote.
What we will need (if you have not filled out the Performance License Application[above]):
- Your name
- The name of your Organization
- Organization and personal phone numbers and emails
- The dates of your intended performances with the number of performances intended.
- The size of your auditorium, your ticket prices and expected attendance at each performance.
- The royalties and fees that you paid for your last play and/or musical production
- Our shopping cart is PayPal powered and accepts all major credit cards.
- can be made to our e-mail address through PayPal.
- We can also send you a PayPal invoice which you can pay with a Credit or Debit card. We will then issue a regular invoice referencing the PayPal number. We are PayPal Verified.
- We also accept company checks in payment of an invoice.
- For Schools and other institutions that work through Purchase Orders, we accept those as well.
The Zion Theatricals Compendium
2017ZTCompendium Click for a listing of as many LDS plays and musicals as we could find titles for. We don’t have the production rights to them all, but we’re working on it. You can, however, most often find out where and if production rights are available. AND, if you know anything in addition to what we know, let us know and we’ll update the listings.)
THE REHEARSAL PACKAGE
usually consists of:
- 1 manuscript script (in PDF)
- 1 manuscript score (in PDF)
- 1 manuscript vocal book (in PDF) for almost every musical
- Extra Items (availability varies per title):
- SFX CD — Sound effects for the show (varies by title)
- PerformanceTraks CD — the accompaniment in combo arrangements or full orchestration (depending on the title)
- Our new PerformanceTraks are being put together by Taylor Williams of Tayloredtracks.com. We already have 2 shows available with these dynamite new tracks:
- Other shows that have PerformanceTraks already are:
- AJ’s Miracle
- Charlie’s Monument
- Christmas Dreams
- City of Joseph
- The Dance
- A Day, A Night and a Day
- Don’t Forget To Remember
- The Forge and the Fire
- Heaven Never Closes
- Latter-day Ruth
- Liberty Jail
- My Turn On Earth
- Once I Lived In Cottonwood
- The Order Is Love (partial)
- The Planemaker
- Saturday’s Warrior
- Star Child
- Take The Mountain Down
- The Trail of Dreams
- Where Freedom Stands
- The White Star
- NOTE:These files are sent to you for production purposes. They may not be used outside of rehearsal/performance situation that is licensed by ZT.Once you download them, you may:
1) burn them to a CD in order to play them for rehearsals and performances;
2) Load them into a music reproducing program, like iTunes, on your computer for playback at rehearsals and performances;
3) or both.Any tracks you copy, must be destroyed following your performance run.
If you have made copies for actors, they must return them to you, or delete and destroy them from any and every device to which they have been copied.Your contract stipulates that all files must be destroyed, originals sent to you, and any and all copies made by you or your production team members.Your payment for these files does not imply ownership, but instead, a leasing fee. They are not your property. They are the property of the Authors’ and/or their Agent. They are copyrighted material.If you have questions contact Zion Theatricals.
- SFX CD — Sound effects for the show (varies by title)
- Orchestrations in PDF or PRINT format — not available for all musicals. Can be full orchestration or a reduced orchestra.
- Combo Arrangements (in PDF or PRINT format) — Usually piano, bass, drums, keyboard2 (other instruments may be available)
- Promotional Materials — (art work, reviews, other material depending on the title)
The total price varies per title. These copies will either be PDF files or printed files. The fee includes the rights to photocopy the materials for your production. After the production all copies must be destroyed and the original paper copies returned to ZT. If the file was sent electronically, it must be also destroyed, or trashed. A “Certificate of Destruction” will be issued by us and sent to you for your signature in complying with the destruction of the PDF rehearsal materials and the copies thereof. ALL REHEARSAL MATERIAL IS LEASED from us by you, not owned by the purchaser.
ROYALTIES, PERFORMANCE RIGHTS & COPYRIGHT LAW
- Royalties are extra to the cost of rehearsal materials and quoted on a per show basis, based on your ticket prices, number of performances and the seating capacity of your theatre. Professional and Amateur royalties differ from each other, also.
- Copyright law is complicated, but unless the author has been dead for at least 70 years you should expect to pay Performance Royalties.
- You must also have prior permission from the author or their agent, and you should not assume that because a Play has been published that it’s therefore available for performance. Even if it is available, there may be restrictions, such as an already licensed competing production within 100 miles of your location.
- And unless you’re performing in a private home or a classroom (without admission being charged) , a Performance Royalty will be due whether or not the Play is performed in whole or in part, whether or not it’s for charity, and whether or not the audience pays admission.
- Photocopying scripts without permission is also a breach of copyright. Our scripts are mostly in PDF format, so you will need to apply to us in order to receive permission to photocopy and/or print copies for your production. For the few plays for which we have published books, they may not be photocopied; so you must buy enough for your cast and crew.
- Details of how and where to apply for Performance Rights are invariably printed inside the Perusal PDF which you can download, or printed Playbook.
- The cost of the Rights varies, but as a rough guide, for amateur rights you should expect to pay about $90.00 per performance for full-length plays (musicals differ greatly and are more expensive) and for professional rights about 8% gross box-office receipts.
- Please give yourself plenty of time by planning and applying for performance rights well ahead of your intended performance.
ALL THE PLAYS AND MUSICALS LISTED HERE ARE COPYRIGHTED WORKS. NO PERFORMANCE MAY BE ATTEMPTED OR SCHEDULED, WHETHER ADMISSION IS CHARGED OR NOT, NOR MAY YOU BEGIN REHEARSALS, WITHOUT FIRST ARRANGING AND LICENSING THE PRODUCTION RIGHTS AND PURCHASING THE ROYALTY AND REHEARSAL MATERIALS THROUGH
You should call us at 801-550-7741 or email us, with your request for rights.
WHEN PERFORMING A ZT TITLE:
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING FOR THE PLAY:
“Substitute ‘Name of the Play’ is presented through special arrangement with Zion Theatricals (ZT). All authorized materials are also supplied by ZT, www.ziontheatricals.com”
Two Quotes by Brigham Young
“If I were placed on a cannibal island and given the task of civilizing its people,” Brigham Young reportedly said, “I should straightway build a theatre for the purpose.”
The second quote was given at the Dedication of the Salt Lake Theatre: Said Brigham Young,
“Upon the stage of a theater can be represented in character, evil and its consequences, good and its happy results and rewards; the weakness and the follies of man, the magnanimity of virtue and the greatness of truth. The stage can be made to aid the pulpit in impressing upon the minds of a community an enlightened sense of a virtuous life, also a proper horror of the enormity of sin and a just dread of its consequences. The path of sin with its thorns and pitfalls, its gins and snares can be revealed, and how to shun it.” (Discourses of Brigham Young, p.243; Bookcraft, 1998)
Products and services available on this website are protected by copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets and all other intellectual property and proprietary rights (collectively, “Intellectual Property Rights”), and any unauthorized use violates such laws. All rights are controlled by Zion Theatricals.
Certain Zion Theatricals copyrighted material requires a fee and/or a separate license agreement. Except as expressly provided herein, you may not copy, republish, create derivative works based on, or reverse engineer products or services from this website. You may not remove any copyright or other proprietary notices contained in the material. Copyrighted material may not be re-distributed or otherwise made available to others. Any rights granted by Zion Theatricals constitute a license and not a transfer of title.
Any unauthorized use, copying or distribution of Zion Theatricals copyrighted material is prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible. By using this site, you agree that the laws of the State of Maine, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern your use and any dispute of any sort that might arise between you and Zion Theatricals.
This site is provided by Zion Theatricals on an “as is” and “as available” basis. There are no warranties of any kind as to the availability of this site or the information, products or services included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.
All sales are final. Please do not order any items until you are sure that you want them. We will replace defective items without charge if we are notified within 24 hours of receipt. In the case of downloaded scripts, we will not replace files that become damaged after 24 hours of download, so please check to make sure that your file opens and works properly when you download it.
All postings and information on this site are ©2012-2018 by Zion Theatricals
For other fine plays and musicals, visit our sister site:
Those who are interested in producing quality theatrical titles that are not centered in Latter-day Saint culture are invited to visit our sister site:
Another site you may be interested in:
(the free online guide to modern playwrights and theatre plays which have been written, adapted or translated, into English since the production of Look Back in Anger in 1956. doollee.com contains information on 46,563 Playwrights and 158,754 of their Plays. No performance rights are available through this site, but you may be directed to the publisher or licensing agency where those rights can be obtained.)