Book and Lyrics by Thom Duncan
Music and Lyrics by C. Michael Perry
This musical chronicles the love story of Joseph Smith and his wife, Emma Hale Smith. Set against the backdrop of hatred and persecution, in an America that was supposed to have freedom of choice as far as religion was concerned, Joseph and Emma struggle, along with the other Saints, to establish a foothold, both personally and publicly, in love and in Faith. They face opposition from without, but the worst of their oppressors are within the Church.
- Characters: 11M 2TeenB, 5W + ensemble of 12-16
- About 2:00
- Settings: Several suggested settings. Some action occurs in places around Nauvoo of 1844, and in other places prior to that, through memory.
- Costumes: period 1800s
- Order # 2081
Available for performance to all groups!
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: Let There Be Love PERUSAL (The PDF file contains Act One of this 2-act musical)
- ACT ONE
- Scene 1 — Joseph’s and Emma’s Home
- #1– TOGETHER IN HEAVEN — Congregation
- #2– LET THERE BE LOVE — Joseph & Emma
- #3– KINGDOM OF THE SUN — Angel
- Scene 2 — Lair of the Mob
- #4– YOU GOTTA GO — Ryder & Mob
- Scene 3 — Joseph’s & Emma’s Home
- #5– LIMBER — Joseph & Hyrum
- Scene 4 — The Foster’s house
- Scene 5– Joseph’s Study / Mob’s Lair
- #6– GOD, IS IT YOU? / MARVELOUS WORK — Joseph
- #7– FIND A REASON — Joseph & Emma
- #8– LOVE GONE — Emma
- ACT TWO
- Scene 1– Front Yard of Smith Home
- #9– ALL THE TIME — Angel
- #10– A WEDDING — Emma & Joseph
- #11– IF ONLY– Abigail
- #12– NOT JUST A MAN — Hyrum and Others
- #13– YOU GOTTA GO (reprise) — Mob
- #14– LET THERE BE LOVE (rep) (A reprise “Will Always Be Love”) — Joseph
- #15– FINALE: LIKE A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER — Emma, Joseph and others
LYRIC SHEETS will give you the words to follow along with the melody.
- DOWNLOAD LetThereBeLoveLYRICSHEETS©COMPLETE
SONG SAMPLES (these DEMOS are from the Finale files and have an instrument (English Horn and sometimes a Piano if there is a double melody, or a triple melody may have those outstanding electronic ‘voices’) playing the melody.
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #2081a : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2081d : quoted on application (for the first or only performance)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2081e : quoted on application (For each successive performance)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Piano-Vocal Score (in PDF format) — Order #2081b : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Vocal Book (in PDF format) — Order #2081c : $15.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- PerformanceTraks CD (or mp3 download link) — Order #2071h : $100.00 (May not be distributed to anyone outside of your production’s cast and Production Staff)
- Orchestrations (in PDF format)– Order #2081h : $200.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)(Orchestrations consist of parts for the following: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Percussion: (Tympani, Xylophone), Violin 1, Violin2, Viola, Cello, Acoustic Bass.
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
(Yours could be the first!)
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Let There Be Love
Book and Lyrics by
Music and Lyrics by
C. Michael Perry
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Let There Be Love is presented through special arrangement with Zion Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by ZT, www.ziontheatricals.com”
from the catalog of