(Under license from Prospero Arts and Media)
In this adaptation of Jane Austen’s classic novel, sisters Elinor and Marianne Dashwood couldn’t be more different in temperament, but they find themselves in similar circumstances as they are cast out of their former livelihoods after the death of their father and then subsequently have their hearts broken by tragic circumstances in love. Yet, the heart is a resilient thing, and continues to hope for happiness and love even in the face of the greatest opposition.
Artwork courtesy of Sunnie Bybee
CAST OF CHARACTERS — 10f, 5m (+ servants)
- ELINOR Dashwood, a sensible, lovely woman in her twenties
- MARIANNE Dashwood, a young, vivacious woman in her late teens (should play the piano)
- MRS. DASHWOOD
- FANNY Dashwood
- JOHN Dashwood
- EDWARD Ferrars
- MARGARET, the youngest Dashwood sister, between 12 and 15
- COLONEL BRANDON, over 35 years old, with a very sober demeanor, but kindly
- SIR JACK (John) Middleton, is in his forties, and has a very active and cheerful demeanor that belies his age.
- LADY MIDDLETON, is in her mid to late twenties, and is quite different than her husband. (Should play the piano well)
- MRS. JENNINGS, Lady Middleton’s mother, considerably older than the rest of the group.
- WILLOUGHBY, a young, stunningly handsome man, carrying a hunting rifle.
- LUCY Steele
- ANNE Steele
- SOPHIA Grey
- SERVANTS, as stage hands
- RUN TIME: 2 hours+
- SETS: 4 interiors, 2 exteriors — can be fluid and not heavy set pieces
- COSTUMES: 19th Century England
- ORDER # 3313
GENRES: Adaptations, Period Drama, Romance, Comedy
- A copy of the PERUSAL SCRIPT (in PDF format) which contains Act One of the script of the play is available Sense and Sensibility PERUSAL
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3313a : $40.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #333d : $100
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3313e : $90
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Vanguard Theatre Company, 2021
- Castle Amphitheatre, Provo, Utah — Summer 2020 (cancelled due to Covid 19)
- PREMIERE PRODUCTION: American Preparatory Academy, 2017
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Sense and Sensibility
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Sense and Sensibility is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”