Suggested by Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”
Book and Lyrics by Neil K. Newell
Music and Lyrics by C. Michael Perry
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
You thought you knew “The Tempest”? Well, get ready for this version. We start before Shakespeare begins. We see Propsero and Miranda arrive. We see Ariel deposit Sycorax and Caliban on the isle. We see Ariel impaled in the ‘oak’ and we see Propsero defeat Sycorax. We then see Sycorax come to life again through the intervention of Caliban and the strangers deposited on the island by Prospero’s tempest. As in the original, goodness prevails but only after valuable lessons have been learned by all. This story now involves the conflict between Sycorax/Caliban and Prospero. It is no longer an epic fantasy but a taught, musical drama with a lively and modern score. “Don’t Just Sip The Water”, “I Looked At The Moon”, “Such Stuff As Dreams”, “That’s Love”, “Brave New World”, “Have No Pity–Rule A City”, are among the songs that fill this score with inventive music and singable lyrics.
- Brave New World
- Such Stuff As Dreams
- Tempest: The Musical
- A Musical Tempest
(Leicester Bay Theatricals is acting as AGENT for this musical. It is not considered a PUBLISHED musical, but one that is “in-process”. You will actually be negotiating the rights with the authors themselves, as we at LBT will be referring you to them.)
- 9 characters: + small ensemble (4 men — 3 women — 2 either)Prospero — 46 at start, Former Duke of Illyria. (male or female-Prospera)Miranda — 15 at start, Prospero’s daughter
Ariel — ageless spirit (male or female)
Sycorax — a powerful witch
Caliban — half devil, half monster, son of Sycorax and an Evil Djinn.
Valeska — Queen of Illyria
Endre — (pronounced ahn-dray) son and heir to the throne of Illyria
Nikolai — Current Duke of Illyria, deposed his brother Prospero.
Keshimir — Queen Valeska’s brother
Ensemble of 6-8 persons to play the following:
Voice of Balaam, the evil Djinn, father of Caliban
Sycorax Story by Ariel
PAPA: father of Sycorax
BALAAM: Sycorax’s intended
KHUUMAL: Caliph of Morocco
Prospero’s Story by Prospero
KESHIMIR (QUEEN’S BROTHER)
PEOPLE OF ILLYRIA
- Space Setting.
- 110 minutes
- Order #3009
The PREMIERE play is available for Immediate Production by ALL producing groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this 2-act musical: SuchStuffAsDreamsPERUSAL
SONG LIST (MANY OF THESE SONGS ARE AUTHOR DEMOS THAT ARE ALSO ON THE DEMO CD available below)
- Act One
- #1 — Don’t Just Sip The Water Propsero
- #2 — Where Is Africa? Prospero & Miranda
- #3 — I Looked At The Moon Sycorax and Caliban
- #4 — If I Only Knew Fire! Prospero
- #5 — If I Only Knew Fire (reprise) Prospero
- #6 — Someday Miranda
- #7 — Once Upon A Moonbeam Ariel
- #8 — Why? Caliban
- #8a — Finally! Caliban
- #9 — Treason Prospero
- Act Two
- #10 — Such Stuff As Dreams Prospero
- #11 — That’s Love! Miranda & Endre
- #12 — Brave New World Prospero
- #13 — Have No Pity — Rule A City Nikolai & Keshimir
- #14 –If You Could Only Know Him Miranda
- #15 — That’s Love (reprise) Miranda & Endre
- #16 — Brave New World (reprise) Nikolai
- #17 — Finally! Sycorax, Nikolai & Keshimir, Caliban, Prospero
- #17a — Finally! (reprise) Sycorax, Nikolai & Keshimir, Caliban, Prospero
- #18 — Just What Does A Father Say? Prospero
- #19 — FINALE: Brave New World Prospero, Miranda, Endre, Valeska, Keshimir
- #20 — Curtain Call Company
- #21 — Exit Music
DEMO SAMPLES (Rough author demos)
DEMOS of the orchestrated songs ( from the Finale/Note Performer files)
Demo mp3 CD can be found in the Purchase Section below, or (ON THIS PAGE)
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3009a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #3009b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #3009c : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3009d : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3009e : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- Demo CD — Order #3009f : $7.00 (This includes Media Mail postage to you)
- Orchestrations in PDF format (when available)– Order #3009h : $125.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) ORCHESTRATIONS TO BE AVAILABLE WILL INCLUDE: Flute, Oboe, English Horn, Bassoon, French Horn, Percussion, Synthesizer (Piano), 2Violin, Bass.
- Well, it could be your group listed here as the Premiere Producer!
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Such Stuff As Dreams
(Suggested by Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”)
Neil K. Newell
Music and Lyrics by
C. Michael Perry and Neil K. Newell
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Such Stuff As Dreams is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of