Book and Lyrics by Carol Lynn Pearson
Music by J.A.C. Redford
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, LDS Church Groups)
A Timeless Musical Classic!
Come to the dance and meet: Couple #1 — Neil and Karen “the perfect married couple” to everyone but themselves; Couple #2 — Howard, still searching for “the right one” 14 years after his mission, and Alison, a recently divorced mother of three; ‘Couple’ #3 — Brad, 18, and suffering from his first broken heart, and Janet, an unclaimed jewel of 23. “You come to the dance ‘cause there’s a chance that something good might, just might, happen tonight” is part of a lyric from the opening song of this LDS classic.
This is the musical that was the basis for the recent film THE DANCE, written & directed by McKay Daines, with additional material provided by Elizabeth Hansen (One of our authors), and starring Michael Flynn & K. C. Clyde
- 3M (1tenor, 1 baritone, 1 bass/baritone) 3W (2 sopranos, 1 alto)
- One open setting
- About 90 minutes
- Order #2036
“The music, written by J.A.C. Redford, was subtle, adding dimension to the different characters” — The Daily Universe.
“A sensitive, realistic look at life, love and marriage. Pearson has successfully interwoven laughter and tears to create dialogue that is painfully honest.” — Karlene Davis, Central Utah Journal.
“The Dance is sincere, realistic and very entertaining. You will be amazed at how much you have in common with these people.” — Joseph Walker, The Deseret News.
Available for ALL producing groups.
- The Perusal Pages file in PDF form contains the first half of this musical: DancePERUSAL
- You Come To The Dance
- I Tried
- Do You Take This Man?
- My Eternal Girl / Send Me A Man
- The Girl I Used To Be
- Be A Man
- The Dance Director
- May I Have This Dance?
- Love Lingers
- Always The M.C.
- The Tap Dance
- I’m Okay
- May I Have This Dance? (reprise) & You Come To The Dance (reprise)
SONG SAMPLES (on the CD page)
- The Original Cast Album of the Dance is available HERE for $14.99 (+ shipping)
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #2036a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book — none available (Vocal parts are in the Piano-Vocal Score)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #2036c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2036d : for the only performance or the first performance in a series of related performances. (QUOTED ONLY UPON APPLICATION)
- Second Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2036e : for the only performance or the first performance in a series of related performances. (QUOTED ONLY UPON APPLICATION)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Orchestrations (Bass, 2nd Piano, Alto Sax and Drum parts in PDF format) — 2036h: $125.00 rental fee.
- PerformanceTraks CD (for the rehearsal and performance period) — Order 2036j: $100.00 (includes shipping)
- Adapted into a non-musical film in 2008
- Production records lost
- Professional Premiere in Salt Lake City
- Premiere at Brigham Young University — 1983
From the catalog of