(For production by Professional Groups, Colleges and Universities, Community Groups, and adventurous High Schools.)
A faithful, action oriented adaptation of the bloody tale of Odysseus returning from the Trojan Wars. As told by Homer, Odysseus, Athena and Zeus, himself, the consequences of Odysseus’ and others’ disobedience to the Gods, the tale of enduring what is coming at us until the restoration of life to its fullest, fills the narrative structure of THE ODYSSEY.
- CAST: 22m, 11female, 2 either +maids, crew, suitors. (Doubling recommended)
- Telemachus, Penelope(F), Antinous (becomes suitor), Erymachus (becomes a suitor), Nurse Eurycleia(F), Hermes, Calypso(F), Lusty Young Man, Servant(either), Poseidon, Nausicaa(F), King Alcinous, The Queen(F), Maids(F), Queen Arete(F), Singer (either), Crewman, Cyclops, Other Cyclops(F), Eurylochus, Circe(F), Pig-Men/Crew, Elpenor, Tiresias, Agamemnon, Odysseus’s Mother(F), Helios, Eumaeus, Herald, Suitors, Arnaeus (suitor), Woman(F), Amphinomus (suitor), Leodes (suitor)
- SET: Fluid multi-scene setting that can use projections (also SFX)
- COSTUMES: of Greek or modern era
- RUN TIME: 80-90 minutes.
- ORDER #3290
- A copy of the PERUSAL SCRIPT (in PDF format) which contains the first act of the script of the play is available: Odyssey (samuelsen) PERUSAL
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3290a : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3290d : $70
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3290e : $60
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Premiered at Brigham Young University, 1998
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
A New Play
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“The Odyssey is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”