(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, LDS & Other Church Groups)
The plot centers around congressional hearings conducted early in the 20th century regarding the election of Reed Smoot, an apostle in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to the U.S. Senate. The major sticking point was, of course, polygamy — which Smoot did not practice. But it wasn’t really Smoot who was under fire, it was the Church as this ‘practice’ was perceived to threaten family values. Most of the Anti-Mormon, Anti-Smoot issues were raised by Idaho Senator Fred Dubois and his wife. It is a dynamic play about personal integrity, religious hypocrisy and religious and political freedom and how those who seek to protect their own religious freedoms so often are the attackers of those freedoms for others.
- 10m 5w
- Simple fluid setting
- About 2 hours
- ORDER #2028
The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: SeatingSenatorSmootPERUSAL It contains the first act of this three act play.
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Script in PDF format — Order #2028a : $20.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2028d : $75
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2028e : $65
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- ZTPerformanceLicenceApp2016 (in PDF format) to download our Performance License Application. No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. (We are working on an ONLINE PDF filler form)
- Video-taped and Broadcast on KBYU-TV, 1996
- Premiered at Brigham Young University, 1996
from the catalog of