by Mark Ogden
WHAT ABOUT JOE AVERAGE? WHERE DOES HE FIT IN?
Perfect show for Middle Schools, Junior Highs, High Schools and Youth Groups using age-appropriate casting, or for College & University, Community and Professional Groups where older actors can play the younger roles, or casting can be age-appropriate.
Joel Barker, looking back on his childhood, when he was just Joe Average, interacts with the memories of his past. Younger Joey was competent, fun, and talented in ways that don’t regularly stand out. His father was the principal of The Institute for Gifted Children, and after a divorce, young Joey goes to live with his dad and go to school there. He meets the other kids of varying ages, who are all genius at something. He doesn’t fit in. He wonders why his mom sent him and his dad pushed him into this school. But then, a gifted, young teacher, Liz, with more vision than her principal, whom she used to be sweet on, shows him that the things that make Joey ordinary begin to make him stand out, and he soon finds a place, and even more important, acceptance, into this weird and wacky club of Gifted Misfits. The “Dream/Nightmare” sequence roasts the dark side of special programs for any student or group of students: that our educational system — and its administrators — tend to exploit our gifted youth for their own gain and betterment — and the dollars that are out there to be had in grant money. A totally terrific score fuels this musical with a message that says “it’s ok to be ordinary, for ordinary people always find their place … and run the world.”
- 2M 1W 3B 3G + optional ensemble
- About 90 mins
- Settings: fluid, multi-location, suggested or elaborate.
- Costumes: contemporary
- Orchestrations: The Orchestra parts (for future availability) consist of: Clarinet/Alto Sax, Trumpet, Guitar, Banjo, Drums, Bass.
- Order # 3158
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: SideshowPERUSAL
- The Original Concept Album is available on CD for $15.99 It has most of the songs in the show, plus a bonus of a cut song. You can purchase it HERE.
- Joe Average
- Something Prodigious
- Dear Ol’ Dad
- Look At Me
- Hit The Big Time
- Hit The Big Time (reprise)
- Joe Average (reprise)
- In Our Hearts
- How Does He Do It?
- Over My Head
- Something Prodigious (reprise)
- In The Sideshow
- Like I Am Now
- In Our Hearts / Joe Average (reprise 2)
DEMO SAMPLES: The following are just a few of the selections that can be found on the Original Concept Album. [Purchasing it is a great way to peruse this title]
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3158a : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score (in PDF format) — Order #3158b : $30.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- A full VOCAL BOOK is not available as of yet for this title.
- Chorus Book (in PDF format) — Order #3158c : $5.00 (containing only the choral parts for the songs in which the chorus has harmonies. There are no unison CHORUS lines or LEAD VOCAL lines. It will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3158d : (will be quoted upon application)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3158e : (will be quoted upon application)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- Orchestrations (in PDF format) — Order #3151h : $95.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production. The Orchestra parts consist of: Clarinet/Alto Sax, Trumpet, Guitar, Banjo, Drums, Bass. Future Availability
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
A Musical about Young People
Book, Music and Lyrics by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“The Sideshow is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
- St. George Musical Theatre, 1994
- Premiered in Ogden, Utah in 1988
from the catalog of