(This title offered by special arrangement with Hansen Perry Productions)
Book and Lyrics by Elizabeth Hansen.
Music and Lyrics by C. Michael Perry.
(For production by College/University Groups, Community Groups, LDS & Other Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
We come to know Lucy Mack Smith. It is 1855. She is near death and has compiled her memoirs into a biography of her son, Joseph Smith – – The Prophet. She has a young visitor who is interviewing her for the newspaper and asking her all about that “ol’ Joe Smith”. She says his name was Joseph — but they all called him Brother Joseph. She takes us through bits and pieces of the Prophet’s life in a celebration of the man and his relationship to God, his family, his friends, his congregations and even his enemies — where we find that he was always “Brother Joseph”. This show is designed to be rehearsed by an LDS Stake and, if desired, different sections can be appointed out to different Wards within the Stake. It can also be rehearsed as a full production by one producing group.
- Large, modular cast
- One Unit Setting
- About 90 minutes
- Order #1003
“The script, lyrics and music of Brother Joseph worked dramatically. It brought history to life. It informed us of the past. It recreated vivid characters, and enabled us to feel the Spirit. The music was an essential part of that wonderful miracle of testimony.” — George G. King, Author, Orem Utah
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this 2-act musical: BrotherJosephPERUSAL
- #1 OVERTURE — Instrumental
- #2 FIFTY THIS YEAR — Lucy (sung by Joseph’s mother, Lucy Mack Smith)
- #3 THEY CALLED HIM BROTHER JOSEPH — Lucy & Cast (a song introducing the relationships between Joseph and the people who loved him)
- #4 FACTS — Lucy & Cornelius
- #5 THE VISION — Young Joseph (Joseph sings to Hyrum)
- #6 WHAT WAS IT LIKE? — Young Joseph & Alvin
- #7 EVERYTHING AND MORE — Joseph and Emma
- #8 BROTHER JOSEPH’S SONG — Lucy & Cast (the characters express their opinions)
- #9 DIVINE DIVINING ROD — Old Nick & Ruffians (trying to beat Joseph to the Gold Plates)
- #10 FAITH — Lucy & Cast
- #11 TRUTH — Lucy & Cast
- #12 FINALE — Cast
- #13 Playout Music
SONG SAMPLES (There are rough demos without vocals but the melody line is played — and the lyrics are in the Perusal Script)
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #1003a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #1003b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #1003c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #1003d : Quoted upon application
- Second Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #1003e : Quoted upon application
- Orchestration in PDF format — Order#1003h : $150.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) Orchestrations are available consisting of the following parts: Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoon, Trumpets, Trombone, Horn, Xylophone, Banjo, Drums, Tympani, Violins, Viola, Cello, Bass.
- PerformanceTraks CD or digital download — Order # 1003j : $300.00 (use the official orchestrations in digital audio format)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Draper Utah Suncrest LDS Stake — March 23, 24, 2018
- Hesperia CA LDS Stake — November 2012 (From Larry Heywood, of the Stake production staff, “Thanks again for the opportunity to perform this wonderful musical.”)
- Premiered at the Springfield Oregon Stake — 2005
This title is available exclusively from