(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
It’s a zany show about a director and a troupe of actors trying to put on an improvisational musical inspired by a work of modern art. Roger Howard, Director of a small acting company, brings Marvin, a modern artist friend, to his theatre to see a rehearsal of some of the scenes of a play he’s producing, for the purpose of convincing him it can be done with the same resulting effects and methods the painter gets with his avante-garde paintings. As the play within the play proceeds, the actors and actresses try to apply natural motivations to the meanings in the play. Impressed with a song sung by Adele, an actress past her prime, who is replacing a regular member of the company, Roger includes the song in the show and succumbs to her warm charms. Wayne and Morris, who play opposite Myra, have difficulty in switching from the real to the unreal characters in their efforts to understand what significance “the Object” has in development of the theme of the play. This is further complicated by the relationship of Lily, Roger’s assistant, with her unknown to all mother, Adele. In the final scene Myra is carried away in her characterization of Looma, finally losing contact with her own identity. She is brought back to reality by the others when they realize that “the object” really belongs to the audience not the actors, for when a work of art is created and presented to the public, it becomes theirs–to be done with as they see fit. They give the object back to the audience in the end, because that is where it comes from. Actors emotions run the gamut. A challenging show.
- 6M 4W + chorus
- The setting is the interior of a theatre
- 2 hrs.
Available for ALL producing groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this 2-act musical:TGBOPERUSAL
- THEATRE! • (COMPANY) 6:37
- CLASH & HOE DIDDLE DOE • (MYRA, WAYNE) 3:37
- CHEESE AND ONIONS • (MYRA, WAYNE, COMPANY) 2:17
- A SIMPLE OBJECT • (ROGER, MYRA) 3:24
- THE COWBOY • (MORRIS, COMPANY) 2:53
- GAS MAN! • (MYRA, ADELE, COMPANY) 3:34
- WORDS • (ADELE) 3:57
- LILY • (LILY, ADELE, COMPANY) 1:32
- ENTREACTE • (ORCHESTRA) 2:01
- HELLO, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE • (COMPANY) 2:52
- WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? • (COMPANY) 2:55
- I WANNA KNOW WHERE I’M GOING • (MARVIN, COMPANY) 2:53
- YOU! • (SID, WAYNE, LILY) 4:22
- YOU! (reprise) • (LILY) :56
- TAKING A CHANCE • (ROGER, ADELE) 2:53
- TAKING A CHANCE/TAG • (ROGER) :31
- FINALE: A SIMPLE OBJECT • (COMPANY) :57
Order the Original Cast Album, available for $10.95 + shipping and tax from our LBT site)
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3016a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #30126b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #3016c : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3016d : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3016e : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- Orchestrations in PDF format — Order #3016h : $200.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) Orchestrations available include: Flute, Clarinet, Alto, Tenor and Bari Saxes, Trumpet, Trombone, Guitar, Percussion, Drums, Piano, Violin, Cello, Bass
- PerformanceTrak CD — Order #3016j : $100.00 rental (This must be returned to us following your performance run)
- Premiered at BYU — 1988
Max Chatterton Golightly, longtime friend, professor, mentor and collaborator passed away in 1996.
We miss you Max!
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
TURN THE GAS BACK ON!
book and lyrics by
c. michael perry and neil newell
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.) (When using the concert version the credit for C. Michael Perry will be omitted)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Turn the Gas Back On! is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of