a play by Harley Marshall
(Perfect for Professional, College/University, Community and High School productions)
FULL and ONE ACT versions available!
ARE ALL WARS THIS WEIRD?!
Billy Bunders is the luckiest or unluckiest boy who ever lived. From his birth, on the 4th of July 1900, in Kansas––the son of a German immigrant––Billy survives catastrophic event after catastrophic event: The War to End All Wars; World War II; even the presence of The Korean Conflict, horrifies him; as did the Spanish-American War that haunted his father and affected Billy second-hand. With pointed pathos and barbed politicism, “Billy Goes To War” becomes an intensely involving history lesson as seen through Billy’s eyes and lived through Billy’s actions and with his point of view: “War is …weird!” Dark humor permeates this unsettling play for these darkening times. A small cast makes this a perfect play for any group. Designed as a minimalist play, little scenery is needed. Simple costumes and props, and the actors’ imaginations fill in the graphic visual fabric of the play. He becomes a witness to and unwilling participant in unimaginable horrors. One reviewer described it as a “politically charged play.” It may not sound like it, but Billy Goes to War is also funny … very funny.
- 5m 5f (players may play additional small roles, many roles may be played by performers of either gender)
- Simple costumes and props
- scenic demands are light
- FULL LENGTH 60-70 minutes
- ONE ACT 30 miutes
- ORDER #3048
- PERUSAL SCRIPT:
- The PDF of 1/2 of the full length script is available: BillyGoesToWarPERUSAL
- A 30-minute version is also available. The PDF of 1/2 of this script is available: BillyGoesToWarOneActPERUSAL
Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account), EMAIL us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
Email us prior to your order so we have the info to give you a complete quote. EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
FULL 70 Minute Version
- Script in PDF format — Order #3048a : $20.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to print copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3048d : $55.00
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3048e : $45.00
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
ONE ACT VERSION
PREMIERE: The Daytime Players – Portland, Maine — August 2017
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Billy Goes To War
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
“Billy Goes To War” is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of