(for Professional, College/University, Community TYA groups)
A whimsical journey through Greek mythology with story theatre, music, movement, and puppetry! And it all begins with a bet between Arachne and Athena over who is the best weaver — of stories! A New Hampshire Theatre Project Young People’s Playscript.
- 5f +ensemble of 24m 9f 11either (all ensemble characters may be played by performers of either gender)
Calliope (Muse of Music)
Clio (Muse of History)
Terpsichore (Muse of Dance)
Plus the following ensemble players (doubling not essential if you have a large group): Phaeton, Epaphus, Cygnus, Apollo, Zeus, Sun Hawk, Odysseus, Eurylochus, Warriors (3 or more), Circe, Hermes, Midas Golden, Danae, Perseus, Danae’s Father, Soothsayer, Island People, Evil King, Perky Everlasting, Marygold, The Voice, Hermes, Orpheus, Eurydice, Hades, Charon, Cerberus, Persephone, Shades, Hunters (2), Grey Sisters (3), Medusa, Gorgons
- Unit setting with varying locations
- Greek period costumes, or eclectic modern costumes
- About 1 hour
- ORDER #3149
- PERUSAL SCRIPT: The PDF of 1/2 of the script is available: ChallengingAthenaPERUSAL
Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account), EMAIL us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
Email us prior to your order so we have the info to give you a complete quote. EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3149a : $20.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to print copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3149d : $50.00
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3149e : $40.00
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Performance License Application: LBTLicenseApplication072017 No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us.
- Rowlett Academy for Arts and Communications, Bradenton, Florida — November 2019
- PREMIERE: New Hampshire Theatre Project — 2004
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
A New Hampshire Theatre Project Young People’s Playscript
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
“Challenging Athena” is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of