(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, LDS & Other Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
During World War II, while aware of the risk to his life, the fearless young German Latter-day Saint Helmuth Huebener persisted in launching a campaign against Hitler’s propaganda machine. In this play we witness the tragic story of Mormonism’s arguably greatest twentieth-century martyr.
The English translation is not the only version we license. We have translations in Finnish, Russian and German. (see below)
- About 2 hours
- 10M 2W plus ensemble of small roles
- Unit Set
- Order # 2010
Available for ALL producing groups.
“If one is allowed only a few peak experiences in life, one for me was watching the text emerge of Thomas Rogers’ play Huebener. The work is a product of our local culture which has universal meaning. It invites all to consider models in addition to the pioneer legacy, to apply our thinking to contemporary issues, in this case the competing loyalty between freedom and obedience.” — Douglas D. Alder — President, Dixie College.
“Huebener has to be the most brilliant piece of theatre from a Utah author to date — a haunting, moving, powerful drama of ethics.” — Mary Dickson, Salt Lake Tribune.
“Tugs at our heartstrings and reminds us of the complexities of the life we live.” — Dallin H. Oaks
“Watching High School students perform such a challenging play, with such heart, commitment and conviction, in the small, intimate setting at Pine View, had most audience members on the edge of their seat and many moved to tears by the end of the show. After the play had ended, a young boy in the audience turned to his mom and said: “I wish I was someone important like that and made a difference.” Nearly each student echoed the same sentiment of how much the experience had changed their life and how thankful they were to be a part of it. “This is the best experience of my life,” one of the students said. “Saying that any of this is an honor just truly doesn’t do it justice,” Ani Rogers said about the experience as a whole. “When I look back on this moment, this will forever be the biggest feather in my cap.”” — Kimberly Scott, St. George News
- The PERUSAL PAGES file for Huebener is available by clicking HuebenerPERUSALPAGES The PDF file is the first act of the play and all other pertinent information about the play.
- Or you can read the entire play in the Anthology: Saints On Stage (Available from Zarahemla Books)
- This and other plays by Thomas F. Rogers may be read in the new publication: The Plays of Thomas F. Rogers Volume 3 : Crises In Faith (the SEVEN plays included are: Fire In The Bones, First Trump, Reunion, Set Apart, The Anointed (a musical theatre play), and Petunia Passes (a short play). You can purchase the seven play volume, Crises In Faith for $16.00 (saving $3.99 off the list price) and getting to read all seven of Tom Rogers’ plays about the Latter-day Saints. A great way for inexpensive perusing!
- Volume 1: Perestroika and Glasnost, & Volume 2: Personal Journeys, are also available at Leicester Bay Theatricals
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE:
- Script in PDF format — Order #2010a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2010d : $75
- Second Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2010e : $65
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- ZTPerformanceLicenceApp2016 (in PDF format) to download our Performance License Application. No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. (We are working on an ONLINE PDF filler form)
TRANSLATIONS INTO FOREIGN LANGUAGES
Huebener is available in the following languages: (contact us for details)
- Finnish (NOW AVAILABLE! — Email us)
- Russian (NOW AVAILABLE! — Email us)
- German (NOW AVAILABLE! — Email us)
A PHOTO OF the real-life Rudi Wobbe, Helmuth Huebener, Karl Schnibbe in Hamburg, Germany
- Pine View High School — 2014 Photo from the upcoming production (Feb19-22, 2014 || EXTENDED IN IT’S SOLD-OUT RUN — TWO PERFORMANCES ADDED!) HuebenerPHOTOPVHS
- Reno Little Theatre — October 2013
- Helsinki Finland LDS Stake — November 2013 (In Finnish)
- BYU Idaho — 2006
- Dixie State College — 2004
- Bountiful Davis Arts Center — 2003
- Donetsk Ukraine — 1997 (In Russian)
- St. Petersburg Russia Stake — 1995 (In Russian)
- Ann Arbor LDS Stake — 1993
- Brigham Young University — 1991
- Premiere Production at Brigham Young University — 1976
- The proposed poster for an upcoming production of the play by Zion Theatre Company
PHOTO SLIDE SHOW from the Pine View High School Production
- Click on the following Players by TFR for a monograph about the play by the author, Thomas F. Rogers
This title is available exclusively from