Book by C. Michael Perry & L. Susan Lewis
Music and Lyrics by C. Michael Perry
(TYA) (For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
The time: Man after he has all but destroyed his civilization. The survivors live in primitive tribal societies and worship the “Gods” who, as legend has it, dwelt of old in “The Place Of The Gods”. A young boy sets out on his quest to become a man and finds the ruins of that forgotten and forbidden civilization. He learns and grows and begins to strike out with new hope to rebuild all that was so carelessly lost by his human predecessors.
The story is adapted from Steven Vincent Benet’s post-apocalyptic tale, “By The Waters Of Babylon.”
This is NOT your Rodgers & Hammerstein show. The music reflects the dramatic action without ‘showtunes’. It underscores and points to character and plot through melody and harmony, without splashiness. (Not that splashiness is ‘bad’, just not right for this production.)
- 3M 1W +chorus and dancers.
- Space setting.
- 1 hr.
- Piano accompaniment only
- Order #3018
Available for ALL producing groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first half of this musical: OfBabylonPERUSAL
- #1 PROLOGUE — OF BABYLON Father, Jan & Chorus
- #2 TELL A BOY Father
- #3 IF I COULD Mai
- #4 PEACE, MY CHILDREN Father & Chorus
- #5 THE SEARCH Chorus, Jan & Mai
- #6 OF BABYLON (Reprise #1) Chorus, Jan & Mai
- #7 THE CHASE Chorus & Marc
- #8 THE FOREST DREAM Jan & Father
- #9 I AM Jan, Mai & Marc
- #10 VOICES Chorus, Jan, Mai & Marc
- #11 WHERE DO FEELINGS COME FROM? Marc (available in BARITONE & TENOR versions)
- #12 I AM (Reprise #1) Jan, Mai & Marc
- #13 WE TRAVEL Jan, Mai & Marc
- #14 THE RIVER Chorus, Jan, Mai & Marc
- #15 LAMENT — DISCOVERY Mai & Jan
- #16 MAN BUILDS Jan, Father, Mai, Marc, & Chorus
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3018a : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #3018b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #3018c : $20.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3018d : $65.00 for the first, or only performance
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3018e : $50.00 for each consecutive performance
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- Spanish Fork High School — 1995
- Premiered at Brigham Young University — 1989
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
A Musical Adventure
A Tale of the Future
C. Michael Perry & Susan Lewis
Music and Lyrics by
C. Michael Perry
(suggested by Steven Vincent Benet’s short story, “By The Waters Of Babylon”)
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Of Babylon is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of