Adapted by R. Rex Stephenson
(TYA) (For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Middle Schools/Junior High Schools, Elementary Schools, Church Groups, Children’s Theatres/Youth Theatres)
The play is a masterly example of drama to entertain the whole family, while getting the audience hooked on the pleasures of digging into a classic book and participating in the storytelling process. Like Kipling’s original two volumes of The Jungle Books, the play contains a collection of short stories and poems. The many generations of readers who have ranked Kipling’s books among their favorite stories will appreciate Stephenson’s fidelity to the original text. Scenes from the Mowgli stories are arranged in episodes that form a coherent account of Mowgli’s young life. The fantasy of talking animals raising an abandoned man-cub makes this play particularly appealing to young children, while both children and adults identify with Mowgli’s struggle to find his place in the world. As he is adopted and then cast out by communities of animals and humans, he experiences love as well as rejection.
There is a Resource Guide included in the script.
- 75 mins.
- 11 Male roles(some of the typically male roles may be played by a female), 4 Female roles, 1 of either gender + extras (many of the extras can be children)
Available for ALL producing groups.
“I love your script, so true to the original.” — Sally Anderson, Director, Museum of the Shenandoah Valley Water Garden Theatre
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this PLAY: JungleBookPERUSAL
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3025a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3025d : $65
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3025e : $55
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- The Bright Water Waldorf School, Seattle, WA–April 20 & 21, 2017
- The New Hampshire Theatre Project Young People’s Company (Portsmouth, New Hampshire) — April 7, 8, 9, 2017
- Museum of the Shenandoah Valley Water Garden Theatre — July, 2016
- Evanston Township High School — 2014
- Records of productions through another publisher have been lost
- Premiered at the Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre, Ferrum, VA — 1997
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
The Jungle Book
R. Rex Stephenson
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“The Jungle Book is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of