(Under license from Prospero Arts and Media)
This post-apocalyptic fairy tale unfolds in a future earth torn apart by division and war, where mythical creatures have become the new ruling class. In this new world of sphinxes, griffins, fairies, and goddesses, none more fearsome than the Emperor Wolf. When Madeline and her blind mother Ebony meet the orphaned Shasta, they are pulled into a hero’s quest in which they confront this frightening new order and the Dark Being that has claimed the world.
GENRES: Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Theater for Young Audiences
(Artwork by Clarissa Brandley. Photos courtesy of Arizona State University and Tim Trumble, photographer. Da Vinci Academy photos by Adam Slee.)
Soon to be an animated film.
CAST SIZE: 8 (4 f, 3 m, 1 non-gender specific)
- MADELINE –– a young huntress
- SHASTA — a teenage boy
- EBONY — a middle-aged, blind woman with a sheath of cloth wrapped around her eyes, or sunglasses (Madeline’s mother)
- THE WANDERING WOMAN — She is a goddess, dressed in an ancient style, perhaps Hebrew, or Egyptian, or Greek, or Babylonian, or some sort of mixture thereof. Her hair is in an exceptionally long braid.
- THE EMPEROR WOLF — a mystical being
- SPHINX — a beautiful but intimidating creature who is half woman, half lion, with great wings,
- TANNER — a graying, grizzled man (Madeline’s father)
- GRIFFIN — can either be a dancer/actor in costume, or a large, beautiful puppet, or any other invention that occurs to the director/designers.
- MINOTAUR –– a legend
- RUN TIME: 2 hours
- SET: Multi-location unit setting, or simple found space
- COSTUMES: frimitive/futuristic
- Order #3304
- A copy of the PERUSAL SCRIPT (in PDF format) which contains Act One of the script of the play is available: Emperor Wolf PERUSAL
- The PRINT VERSION of Emperor Wolf is published by PROSPERO ARTS AND MEDIA and is available on Amazon. The is a great way to peruse the entire script for $12.00 SOON
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3304a : $40.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3304d : $90
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3304e : $80
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“EMPEROR WOLF is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
- Arizona State University, 2014
- The Edinburgh Fringe Festival (Scotland, UK) – High School Division (Da Vinci Academy), 2013
- PREMIERE: DaVinci Academy for the Sciences and the Arts, 2013
PHOTOS from the Arizona State University production:
PHOTOS from the Da Vinci Academy production: COMING SOON