(Under license from Prospero Arts and Media)
Man and Woman are lost and confused in a dark and terrifying world full of danger, so to comfort each other they tell each other stories. The Golem, The Snow Queen, Maui/Coyote/Loki/Anansi, Li Chi (China), Dushyanta and Sakuntala, Eurydice, Isis/Set/Osiris/Anubis. These stories are taken from mythology and fairy tales from across the world that together form the powerfully meaningful life of humankind. As Woman and Man comfort each other in a foreboding and ominous world will these mere tales protect them from the nihilistic world around them, or is there a deeper significance manifest in them?
GENRES: Mythology, Drama, Comedy
Cover Art by Liz Pulido
- CAST SIZE: 2 (1f, 1m) + 2-4 additional performers, if desired (Puppets can also be used, as well as a creative use of Multi-Media)
- All the following characters are played by MAN and WOMAN, if the multimedia approach is used:
- GOLEM, RABBI
- KAI, GERDA, SNOW QUEEN
- MAUI, COYOTE, MR. LOKI, ANANSI, MUD HENS, FROGS, NYAME, ONINI, OSEBO, (Some PUPPETRY or ANIMATION)
- FATHER, LI CHI, MERCHANT, SHADOW HANDS, DOG, SNAKE (Puppetry possible)
- SAKUNTALA, DUSHYANTA, DURVASAS
- SET, ISIS, OSIRIS, CONSPIRATORS, ANUBIS, HORUS, NEPHYTHYS (Puppetry possible)
- SHADOW HANDS
- Note on Casting and Presentation of the Script:
- Although the script was originally written in mind with a cast of two actors (one female, one male) playing all of the roles (made possible through a multimedia approach where the actors are interacting with screen versions of themselves), the play does not need to be played that way.
- The cast can be expanded to include a number of different actors taking on the various roles throughout the play. TWO additional Men and TWO additional Women can play the other characters along with the use of Puppets.
- Also, the multimedia approach is not required, if a director can envision an equally creative and expressive way of conveying the same information, dialogue, characters and stories.
- These other characters represented throughout the various myths, can be shared with a small cast of 4 additional performers, or expanded to be inclusive a large group, with one actor for each role, such as in a school production.
- RUN TIME: Just under 2 hours
- SETS: One fluid setting.
- COSTUMES: Contemporary, Fantasy, Period Historical
- ORDER # 3319
- A copy of the PERUSAL SCRIPT (in PDF format) which contains Act One of the script of the play is available: Manifest PERUSAL
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3319a : $40.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3319d : $110
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3319e : $100
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“MANIFEST is presented through special arrangement with Premiére Theatrical Licensing on behalf of Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
- Venture High School’s Vanguard Theatre Company — 2021