a collection of raw thoughts in the aftermath of senseless tragedy
by Stacey Tirro
On May 25, 2020, amidst a pandemic that shut the world down, George Floyd was murdered in Minneapolis by arresting officers when they kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes. For many people in our nation, and our local community, this was the breaking point. Patience and hope crumbled as protests escalated into riots around the world. Wounds that were already open were further torn apart. People of color, and their allies, expressed their disbelief, exhaustion and sadness over the fact that over fifty years has passed since the Civil Rights Act, and we are still fighting for equal and fair treatment in our society. How Do We Feel Right Now? is a collection of those narratives – real-time responses in the days and weeks following the tragedy. It is also an expression of the new work that is being done to create change and the allyship that is being forged as a result.
As a monologue-based play with lots of possibilities for competition performance, it is ideal for either live or virtual productions. The characters range from adolescence through adulthood, and there is a great deal of flexibility in casting.
Music: The song, “Now?”, written by Stacey Tirro and Hernz Laguerre, Jr. was performed in the original production of How Do We Feel Right Now? and is available for your production. (SEE PURCHASE SECTION BELOW)
How Do We Feel Right Now? was created with students in mind – individuals of color, most from struggling, immigrant families – who live in the reality of a system that does not always serve them. While the catalyst for its creation was a specific event, the feelings represented in the piece have been alive for hundreds of years. I hope this play will serve as an educational guide to help validate these feelings in the BIPOC community, as well as instruct those who do not have skin that is some shade of brown to be more empathetic and supportive of those that are struggling.
ARTWORK above is by Alison Porros and Sarah Roderick
- Running time: approximately 80-85 minutes
- Cast: 31 characters. 7 M, 19 F, 5 either, Double casting is suggested and encouraged. (Original cast had 18 actors.)
- Producing Groups: High school, university, mature middle school, community and youth professional theatre.
- Open fluid setting or a bare stage
- Contemporary costumes or even street clothes
- Order #: 3327
The PERUSAL SCRIPT, which contains the first half of the show, is available How Do We Feel Right Now PERUSAL
The published version of HOW DO WE FEEL RIGHT NOW? is available on Amazon for $10.62 plus tax and shipping – HERE (This would be an excellent way to peruse the play in full. But no productions can be mounted from this published version without prior authorization from LBT.) SEE REVIEWS BELOW
The Song — NOW? — is demoed below from the original cast at Spring Valley High School in New York. (Written by Stacey Tirro and Hernz Leguerre, Jr)
REVIEWS of the PUBLISHED EDITION:
Reviewed in the United States on April 17, 2021 by Scott C. Nelson
Reviewed in the United States on May 10, 2021 by Wendy K Rosen
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
Professional Producers, and all producers wishing a Virtual Performance Quote and License, please fill out the Licensing Application form.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3327 : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Song Sheet for “NOW?” in PDF Format — Order #3327c : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3327d : $90
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3327e : $80
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Premiere: Spring Valley High School Thespian Troupe 721 — Fall 2020
- Production/Development History: On June 2, 2020 I had an important series of conversations with a friend who was struggling emotionally following the murder of George Floyd. I had noticed many of my friends and former students (mostly Black, and some white) were expressing similar feelings on social media. I wanted to amplify their voices more than just by sharing through my social media. With their permission (releases acquired), I collected their stories and created How Do We Feel Right Now? That fall, I produced a virtual version of the production with my students in Thespian Troupe 721 at Spring Valley High School. In three days, we had over 1400 views of the limited engagement on YouTube.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
How De We Feel Right Now?
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“How Do We Feel Right Now? is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
Any PROGRAM for this title should contain the following credit:
“The song, “NOW?” has Music by Stacey Tirro and Lyrics by Hernz Leguerre, Jr.”