by Joanna Kraus
Can Robin do something that will amaze everyone, so her family is proud of her?
This Award-Winning play was inspired by the true story of a teen athlete who was bullied and then achieved international acclaim. When Robin joins a water-polo club, she’s unprepared for the hostility she encounters. But with determination plus rigorous training, and an encouraging coach — who calls her a ‘natural’ — she becomes a skilled goalie, confronts a vicious teammate, finds friendship, and ultimately self-acceptance.
NOTE: Artwork by Katie Leonard, property of Clark’s Summit University — Used by permission
- 6f, 1m,
FRANCINE — Robin’s mother. Warm and supportive. New owner of a gift shop. 35
PAT — he is fair, firm, compassionate, Starbirds water-polo coach and a high school guidance counselor. 44
ROBIN — Unusually tall for her age and sensitive about her height. Wants friends and determined to do something astonishing. Almost 14
ALYSSA — Right winger on the Starbirds team. Kind, but not part of the clique. 14
MIMI — The Queen Bee of the Starbirds team. A natural leader, a strong player but with a devious mean streak and a troubled home. 14
BRENDA — Submissive. At first Mimi’s devoted follower.14
CLAIRE — The Starbirds goalie. Easy-going. 14
- About 75 minutes
- Contemporary costumes.
- Simple multi-location setting
- ORDER #3363
- 2021 Old Miner Children’s Playwriting Contest
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Script in PDF format — Order #3363a : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3363d : $75.00 (for the first or only performance)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3363e : $65.00 (For each successive performance)
- Champion PromoPak — Posters and logos for use by your theater : Order #3363z — Free with the payment of production royalties. (email to receive)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon licensing application
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Joanna H. Kraus
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“CHAMPION is presented through special arrangement with Premiére Theatrical Licensing on behalf of Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
- PREMIERED: Clark’s Summit University Kindred HeARTs Players, Clark’s Summit, Pennsylvania — 2022
- ZOOM PRESENTATION — Utah Valley University, Orem, Utah — 2021
from the catalog of