by Ludvig Holberg
Acting Edition by Jerry Argetsinger from the translation by Argetsinger & Sven Rossel
(For production by Professional, Amateur and Educational theatre groups.)
“Jean de France” is Ludvig Holberg’s character comedy written as an homage to Moliere, following the trappings of Commedia dell Arte. Hans Frandsen is excited that his 20 year old son, Hans, is returning home from a three month sojourn to Paris, but his neighbor, and future in-law, Jeronimus is skeptical. Rumor has it that Hans has assimilated all too many aspects of pretentious French culture starting with his name, which he has changed to “Jean de France.” When Jean enters, his attire, attitudes and language demonstrate that he has become obsessed with putting on French airs. The boy’s fiancée, Elsebet is horrified by his behavior and has also fallen in love with an honorable Dane, Antonius. Her maid and house boy agree to develop an intrigue that will reveal the ridiculousness of Jean de France’s behavior and end their engagement. They devise a series of ludicrous “new Parisian fashions” all which Jean assimilates making his behavior even more outlandish. Humiliated, Jean vows to return to Paris allowing Elsebet to marry Antonius.
Reports from RIT say that this comedy “played like a house-a-fire. The audience laughed from top to finish. The foreign students cheered.”
- 8M 3W
- 1 Exterior
- Running Time: 1:45
- Order #3109
Now available for production!
- The PERUSAL PAGES file for Jean de France will be available by clicking JeandeFrancePERUSAL The PDF file is the first three acts of the five act play and all other pertinent information about the play.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3109a : $20.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3109d : $75
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3109e : $60
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- PREMIERE — Rochester Institute of Technology –Spring 2015
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Jean de France
by Ludvig Holberg
Adapted and Translated by Jerry Argetsinger
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Jean de France is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
Other plays in the Ludvig Holberg Acting Edition Collection
includes: The Political Tinker, Erasmus Montanus, Jeppe of the Hill,
Ulysses of Ithaca, Jean de France, The Christmas Party
From the Catalog of