(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups)
A dissection of family, racial and sexual politics set against the backdrop of the beef industry. “Miasma” thoughtfully mines the drama of a family torn apart by a father’s corporate vision. Its ripped-from-the-headlines themes are thoroughly plowed –– dwelling on the exploitation and stench of the beef packing industry, built on the backs of a workforce of immigrant laborers.
Sensitivity rating: The play includes profanity (primarily extensive use of the slang terms for cow manure), descriptions of animal slaughter, brief sexual references. Not for children under 14.
- About 85 minutes.
- CAST of 4 — 2M 2F
- CLAIRE MORSE— age 34, mother of four, daughter to Ben & Liz, flashback to age 17, and age 9
BEN MORSE –– over 55, built a beef producing empire by any means he could
JORGE — 50s, illegal immigrant, rose to Ben’s assistant by doing whatever was asked
LIZA POTTER MORSE (Ben’s 2nd wife, 35 years younger) — LIZ RADIBONE MORSE (Ben’s 1st wife) — BETH MORSE (Ben & Liz’s daughter and youngest child) (All played by the same actress.)
- ORDER #3028
REVIEWS & COMMENTS:
“‘Miasma’ tackles tough issues — like falling to lure of money. Play takes viewer to the smelly genesis of burgers.”
–– Pat Reavy, Deseret News, Thursday, Sept. 14 2006
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first half of this play: Miasma PERUSAL
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3028a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3028d : $65
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3028e : $55
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Michigan Technological University, Houghton Michigan, December 2020
“Thanks for being so understanding of our unusual situation. You made it possible for us to stage a play safely under COVID-19 guidelines in a theatre of just the right size. As you know, I have wanted to stage Miasma for a long while. So personally, I’m grateful for the opportunity.” –Roger Held, MTU
- Published in “Plays From Behind the Zion Curtain.”
- Premiere at Plan-B Theatre Company (SLC) — 2006
- This play began its life as a one act: “The Butcher, The Beggar, and the Bed-time Buddy” in Plan-B’s SLAM 2005
- As recognized by the Dramatists Guild of America, Plan-B Theatre Company is the only professional theatre company in the United States producing full seasons of new plays by local playwrights.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Miasma is presented through special arrangement with Premiére Theatrical Licensing on behalf of Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of