(Under license from Prospero Arts and Media)
A group of children in San Diego sneak into an abandoned house only to discover that it is haunted by supernatural mystery and trauma. Finding themselves trapped, they must overcome their own fears, confront their prejudices, and look to clues in the historical past to find a way out. Premiered by the Noorda Theatre Center for Children and Youth in 2016.
GENRES: Ghost Story, Halloween, Mystery, Theater for Young Audiences
- CAST SIZE: 15 (11 f, 4 m)
- ANTA WASHINGTON — Compassionate, even towards those others see as cruel. An active peace maker. An interesting mix of a placater and a leader. Afraid that she’s really a coward.
- CELIA WESLEY — A believer in the supernatural. Easily frightened, but morally brave. Afraid of a meaningless world.
- LAURA TENNANT — Proudly self identifies as “weird.” Confident, smart, geek chic. She loves old houses and anything that seems strange, even the paranormal. Afraid of big groups.
- LILY ROGERS — Half-heartedly plays the part of a popular girl, but actually really is more interested in history and learning. Afraid of being alone.
- MORONI GRANT — Imaginative, smart, but has struggles with high functioning autism. Afraid of being rejected.
- REBECCA ABRAMOVICH — Along with Lily, the oldest in the group, and likes that social status, but also takes that role seriously as a caretaker and a protector. Also a natural skeptic. Afraid that there’s something stronger than her that controls her life.
- TRAVIS GONZALES — Acts the bully, but really suffers from crippling insecurity, guilt, and self-loathing. Afraid of himself.
- UDEEMA DUBASHI — A rule follower, but often goes along with the crowd. She’s afraid of doing the wrong thing and disappointing her Mom.
- WANDA CROSS — Reactionary and easily scared, Wanda is definitely more “flight” than “fight,” when it comes to conflict. That said, there are moments where she tries to overcome the weakness she perceives in herself and will use her nervous, scared energy to stand up to others. She’s scared of a lot of things, but she thinks sheep are especially freaky.
- WINTER ALLRED — Witty, goofy, and fun-loving, she both loves and hates to be scared. Her real fear, however, is silence, so she talks a mile a minute.
- XIMENA GONZALES — Travis’s little sister who is seeking his approval, but also wanting to be her own person. Afraid that Travis may really mean the unkind things he says.
- KUMEYAAY GHOST
- OLDER TRAVIS / THE BEAST
- RUN TIME: 1 hour
- ORDER # 3289
A copy of the PERUSAL SCRIPT (in PDF format) which contains Act One of the script of the play is available, (it also has an extensive Author’s Note.): Haunt PERUSAL 3289
- An easy way to peruse this play along with 5 other titles. HAUNT is featured in the collection: …Half a Dozen of the Other — Volume 11 in the Theatre for Young Audiences SERIES
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3289a : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3289d : $65
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3289e : $55
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“HAUNT is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
- Noorda Theater for Children and Youth, 2016