Book, Music & Lyrics by Lori Jacobs
The classic Biblical story with a twist, both an homage of Esther, herself, and a send up of the story. With a score made up of original songs based on Kletzmer Songs, Rap, Showtunes and even a little Country and Pop, this show is a rapid, surefire, farcical, tongue-in-cheek-retelling of the rise of Esther and her salvation of the Jews in Persia.
(Performable by Professional, Community & Church Groups, and Educational groups. )
- Characters: 5M 2W 1 either m or f + ensemble of 6m 6f.
- About two hours
- Settings: Various
- Order # 3103
Grand Rapids Press: June 16, 2006 – “‘Esther, the Musical’ is a party with a purpose. “ CLICK HERE to read the full article.
Grand Rapids Press: June 11, 2006 – “Humorous musical takes a serious turn or two. Esther is the original Jewish drama queen. For hundreds of years, Jewish congregations have celebrated the annual festival of Purim by creating ‘spiels’ or skits about Esther, who helped save the Jewish people from annihilation in about 479 B.C.” CLICK HERE to read the full article.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: Esther(schpiel)PERUSAL
- Original Cast Album available for $15.99 CLICK HERE
SONG LIST (from the Original Cast Album)
- Drink, Drink, Drink
- We’re Having A Party
- I’m The Queen
- Exalted King
- The Decree
- Mordecai’s Lament
- The Visit
- Beauty Contest / Wedding
- The Plot
- We Don’t Bow Down
- The Rally
- Shema Kolenu
- My Sister
- What Will You Do?
- What Will You Do? (reprise)
- Climb Up
- The King Can’t Sleep
- Hail. Hail Mordecai
- I Should Be Happy
- He Tried To Kill Us
We now have Finale Note Performer files that we have made into Instrumental Demos for this show.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address)
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3103a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score (in PDF format) — Order #3103b : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Vocal Book (in PDF Format) — Order #3103c : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3103d : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3103e : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Orchestrations (in PDF format) — Order #3103h : $100.00 Consisting of the following parts: piano, keyboard, cello, clarinet/saxophone, bass, percussion. (from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- Jewish Theatre of Grand Rapids — Grand Rapids, Michigan — 2006 & 2009
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Esther: The Musical Schpiel
Book, Music & Lyrics by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Esther: The Musical Schpiel is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of