Adapted by Rodger D. Sorensen
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Middle Schools/Junior High Schools, Church Groups, Children’s Theatres/Youth Theatres)
Most people figure he’s dead. But — NO! Odysseus has merely been held captive by the Nymph Kalypso for seven years; the Sea God Poseidon is furious with him for killing his son, Polyphemos; Zeus is mad because he helped win the Trojan War; his ship is driven to the island of Circe, which drives the crew mad as she turns them into pigs; and then the crew also ate the sacred cattle of Helios, the Sun God. No one important is seeking vengeance. It makes you wonder if any of them will arrive, safely or otherwise, back in Ithaka; where his wife is waiting for Odysseus, along with dozens of suitors who seek her hand after her husband’s long absence. Well, what would you do if you were a run of the mill Greek Hero? Well, that’s what he does!
- 5M 4F
- About 90 minutes
- ORDER # 3050
Available for ALL producing groups.
- The Perusal Pages File (in PDF format) can be read by clicking OdysseyPERUSAL It contains the first half of the script.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3050a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3050d : $65
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3050e : $55
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Premiered at Brigham Young University-Idaho
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Adapted by the original company under the direction of
Based on a translation by Robert Fitzgerald
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“The Odyssey is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of