(Perfect for College/University, Community, Church, High School and Professional Groups.)
A Brooklyn diner’s business has fallen off in the days following 9/11. When a customer implies that the “Saudi Arabian-American student who works behind the counter might be the cause, the student counters with a very personal “pledge of allegiance.” Sheila was inspired and supported in writing the play because of the visually emotional effect that 9/11 had on the students of her school district; she calls it “a monstrous violation on the young people of the world. These young citizens seem to want to reclaim the world in the name of peace. I believe the character of Zan, (the Saudi-Arabian/American student), knows how to start the reclamation process.” This is a beautiful play about viewing the God of all the nations of the Earth as the God of each citizen of the world. Realizing that no person is very different at all from any other person. The play is also bolstered by a beautiful song “This Is My Song” adapted from Jean Sibelius’ Finlandia and sung by a choir (taped) and a solo voice, Zan’s. (The play contains mild language)
(Makes a great DOUBLE BILL with Sheila’s one-act play, “A Day Without Palestine.”)
- 2M 1F.
- About 30 minutes.
- 1 interior.
- Contemporary 2001 costumes.
- Order # 3164
- Perusal Pages File Available here: Counter Intelligence PERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first third of the play along with all background information.)
- A great way to peruse most of Sheila Rinear’s plays published with LBT is to purchase the following PRINT BOOK: FIVE Plays by Sheila Rinear • Playwrights on the Page Series • Book 12 HERE for $13.95. The purchase of this book is for reading/library rights only, no performance rights are connected to the purchase of this book.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account), EMAIL us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3164a : $15.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3164d : $35.00
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3164e : $25.00
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- PREMIERE: San Antonio College Theatre Department — 2003
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a one-act play
Sheila Lynch Rinear
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Counter Intelligence is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of