a play with music and song
by Steve Eaton Evans with Tim Laycock
(Perfect for all theatres, professional, amateur and educational.)
One of the finest true stories to come out of the lives of the Life Boat Crews in the southwest corner of England: Lynmouth in Devon. Set in 1899, the play is inspired by the famous “Overland Launch” of the Lynmouth Life Boat, which was dragged in a terrible storm by its crew for 14 miles over Exmoor to launch at the more sheltered Porlock Weir. This award-winning play has a variety of lively and sombre songs, from haunting sea chanties to Exmoor folk songs–mixed in with original tunes, that punctuate the comic and tragic moments of this inspiring story. Twin brothers, Alfie and William Teale, have grown up wanting nothing more than to become lifeboat men. As they near their 16th birthdays, William gets his dream; for, you see, Alfie, because he had suffered some brain damage at birth, is judged too ‘simple’ by the Life Boat Captain. Storm Boy is the moving tale of Alfie’s struggle to be treated with fairness and equality in a harsh Victorian world. Then in a moment of crisis at sea, with William on a ship floundering and about to sink, all the lifeboat men – including a newly conscripted Alfie – risk life and limb in a fourteen mile trek across Exmoor in order to rescue the men of William’s stricken ship in The Bristol Channel, off the West coast of England. The final moments of this play will tear your heart out as the brothers make a decision that endangers them both.
- 20 M 12F + villagers (Some doubling possible)
- Simple 1890s costumes
- Unit Set (design package available)
- ORDER #3213
Available for licensing immediately.
- PERUSAL SCRIPT: The PDF of 1/2 of the script is available: StormBoyPERUSAL
- A great way to peruse this script is to purchase the PRINT BOOK version HERE for $12.95 (See below for purchase of PRODUCTION COPIES of the PRINT VERSION of STORM BOY)
LIST OF SONGS: mp3 demo of the songs (SOON) The videos below show the beginnings of each act of the play. Some of the songs that appeared in the videos of the original show were a ‘one-time use’ rights grant and are being replaced with an original score by the show’s music director/arranger/composer, Tim Laycock.
- #1 – We Will Survive (Laycock)
- #2 – Bring Out The Lifeboat (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #3 – Teale Family Wassail (Laycock)
- #4 – Lynmouth Fair Song (Laycock)
- #5 – Haul On The Ropes (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #6 – There’s A Friend for Little Children (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #7 – Let The Lower Lights Be Burning (Brightly Beams) (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #8 – Trim Your Feeble Lamp (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #9 – The Larks They Sang Melodious (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #10 –For She’s A Jolly Good Fellow (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #11 – The Lifeboat Girl (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #12 – A-Rovin’ (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #13 – A-Rovin’ (reprise) (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #14 – That’s My Star (Laycock)
- #15 – That’s My Star (reprise) (Laycock)
- #16 —Faithful Sailor Boy (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #17 – Lynmouth Lifeboat Song (Laycock)
- #18 – Eternal Father Strong To Save (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
- #19 – Farewell (Traditional. Arrangement by Laycock)
Here is the beginning of Act One in a video posted on YouTube from the original production includes the song,”Come All You No Hopers” (replaced by “We Will Survive”):
Here is the beginning of Act Two in a video posted on YouTube from the original production, Includes the song, “Brightly Beams”:
DEMO SAMPLES (coming soon)
Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account), EMAIL us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3213a : $25.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to print copies for your production)
- Production Copies • 25 PRINT BOOKS Price $200.00 • Order #3213bulk
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #3213b : $15.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to print copies for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score (no PVS for this title. The Vocal Book has all the charts for voice and instruments. It is suggested that traditional English Folk music instruments be added to the ensemble.)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3213d : (will be quoted upon application, send email with your info, or use the License Application above)
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3213e : (will be quoted upon application, send email with your info, or use the License Application above)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Premiered by Drama Department of Queens College-Taunton, UK — 2016
PHOTOS from the Queens College-Taunton production:
The original cast won an award from the Royal National Lifeboat Institution for the production of the play, and they went to The Barbican Centre in London to receive it!
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
A Devastating Tale of Brotherhood, Love and Loyalty
Steve Eaton Evans
Music and Lyrics by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
“Storm Boy – A Devastating Tale of Brotherhood, Love and Loyalty” is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of