by Rob. Lauer
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Middle Schools/Junior High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
Inspired by the true story of the Cleveland teenagers—Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster—who created Superman, “Geeks & Gangsters” is now available for live performance.
Jerry and Joe were typical high school Geeks: the popular kids ignored them, the jocks picked on them and the girls didn’t know they were alive. Brought together by their love of pulp magazines and science fiction (then called scienti-fiction ), they funneled their frustrations as high school outcasts into creating comic characters they dreamed would one day make them famous as comic strip artists. And it was while they were still in high school that they created a character that would become a cultural icon—and the most universally recognized fictional character of the 20th century: Superman! Inspired by the true story of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster—the creators of Superman, award-winning playwright Rob. Lauer has created a comic fable about growing up. The frustration of being an outsider, the excitement of connecting with someone who “gets you,” the thrill of creating something new, and the pain of losing what you’ve created—all of this is brought to life in “Geeks & Gangsters.”
“Geek & Gangsters” is in print form, illustrated with photos from the original production. To get your own copy, see REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE, below.
JOIN THE BLOG
- 8 TeenMales(appearing 16-25) 5 TeenFemales(appearing 16-25) 14M 5W (Doubling to a cast of 22 Possible)
- About 2 hours
- Order # 3065
- PRINT BOOK LIST PRICE: $11.00 (ISBN: 978-0-615-84182-3)
Available for production by ALL producing groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first half of this play: Geeks&GangsterPERUSAL
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3065a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Script in PRINT Format (no photocopying allowed — order the number you need for your production) — Order #3065a2 : $8.99 (+ shipping and Maine sales tax)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3065d : $75
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3065e : $65
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Western Wyoming Community College — 2007 (GeeksWWCCphotos)
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Geeks & Gangsters
A Comic Fable
a play by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Geeks & Gangsters is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
Available exclusively from