Book and Lyrics by Orson Scott Card
Music by C. Michael Perry
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, LDS Church Groups)
At the end of the persecutions of the Mormons in Missouri, Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Sidney Rigdon and three others were imprisoned in a jail at Liberty, Missouri. The conflicts that arose there and the friendships that were formed shaped the future history of the Mormon Church — and also brought to Latter-day Saint Scripture the beautiful and poetic Section 121 of the Doctrine and Covenants. This musical drama will have your audience totally involved with beautiful music, a deeply moving story and a variety of characters.
There is some mild profanity that can be edited.
This musical would make the perfect “In Repertory” evening with the play, “Letter From A Prophet” as the same cast could do both shows on alternating nights.
- 11M 4W (doubling included)
- Space setting
- About 2 hours
- Order #2005
Available for ALL producing groups.
“Absorbing, moving … a powerful drama … powerful music.” PROVO DAILY HERALD.
“A Mormon classic! The score is lyrical and sometimes thrilling.” UTAH HOLIDAY MAGAZINE.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this 2-act musical:LibertyJailPERUSAL
- Liberty Jail Original Cast Album is available for $14.99 (plus shipping and handling) Order #2005f: HERE.
- Overture • Orchestra (3:51)
- One of the Smith Boys / He’s Your Friend • Macrae & Company (1:02)
- I Ain’t A Snake • Caleb (:46)
- Time • Lyman (1:04)
- I Thank Thee / A Place Without Sun • Sidney / Alex (2:41)
- Simple Men • Hyrum (1:16)
- When Did The Man Become A Prophet • Joseph, Hyrum (2:50)
- Unremarkable They Grow • Hyrum (2:10)
- Jailbreaker Jed • Prisoners (1:56)
- God Is Near / Liberty Jail Sextet • Joseph / Prisoners (2:51)
- Overture to Act 2 • Orchestra (2:17)
- Letters • Joseph, Hyrum, Emma, Mary (3:50)
- Deeper Than You Know • Sidney (2:06)
- Joseph’s Prayer • Joseph (2:16)
- Brother Joseph / Only • Visitors / Hyrum (5:32)
- Only (reprise) • Joseph, Hyrum (2:08)
- Pavilions / He’s Your Friend / Liberty Jail • Macrae & Company (4:15)
- Curtain Call • Orchestra (:53)
SONG SAMPLES (from the Original Cast Recording)
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
- Script in PDF format — Order #2005a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #2005b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #2005c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2005d : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Second Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2005e : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Orchestration in PDF format — Order#2005h : $90.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) Orchestrations available: Piano OR Piano, bass, 2 flutes, 2 violins, banjo, electric guitar, vibes or electric piano
- Professional Performance License can be granted by filling out the Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
NOTE ON SHEET MUSIC OF INDIVIDUAL SONGS: If you are looking for sheet music for a particular song from the show, we can make that available to you for a small fee. We have had a lot of demand for this and, while we love to make the big bucks, we would prefer to just meet you needs and get you the song you want at a more nominal price, which in the end is better for you and easier for us.
Photos of the real Liberty Jail
- Greenbriar Theatre, West Jordan, Utah — 1979
- Premiered at The Valley Center Theatre, Provo, Utah — 1978
This title is available exclusively from