Book and Lyrics by
(based on her play, The Last Baron of Arizona)
Music and Lyrics by
INTRIGUE. DUPLICITY. SELFISHNESS. LOVE. STRANGE COINCIDENCES WHEN THEY COMBINE.
Set late 19th century (1881-1895), SOFÎA is about the biggest land fraud in United States history and the Latina young woman who is duped by an unscrupulous, albeit charming, rogue. James Addison Reeves is always looking for an angle. When he seizes on the idea that an “old” Spanish Land Grant could make him rich, he sets things in motion to make the biggest land-grab in U.S. history. He dupes Sofia, a poor illiterate Latina Californian ranch servant, into thinking that she’s actually Doña Sofía, the long-lost daughter of Spanish nobles, and heiress to the Peralta Grant, which contains half the Territory of Arizona. He turns her into a Baroness. He forges, hides, and then amazingly finds these documents in Spain, Mexico and California and works to convince the Court of Private Land Claims that the nearly two hundred documents are legitimate. Sofía his ward, becomes his wife. For years they are feted like royalty wherever they go. Everything is in line to keep them both wealthy. Then, one day a newspaper editor spots an obscure flaw and Reavis makes a gross mistake. A sharp attorney who is also not having any of what Reavis is serving up. Suspicious, Sofía begs for answers but gets none. At court, she removes her lace mantilla as Reavis is arrested still insisting that Sofía is “every inch a baroness.”
CAST — 4f, 11m, + ensemble (can be doubled to: 3f, 7m, + ensemble if needed)
- MIGUEL — Storyteller and schemer
- ISABEL — his scheming. dreaming partner
- JAMES ADDISON REAVIS — is a handsome man about 30, charming, confident and unfettered by ordinary scruples. His attire suggests his present impecunious status, but his bearing suggests that of a would-be gentleman.
- SOFÍA — She is an impressionable seventeen-year-old, who works as a domestic on a California ranch. Her dark-haired beauty suggests a Spanish ancestry. She has an innate grace.
- FELIPE — a ranch hand
- OFFSTAGE VOICE — (female)
- ROYAL JOHNSON — Head of the office of Surveyor General for Arizona. He’s a conscientious civil servant.
- MATT REYNOLDS — Attorney.
- TOM WEEDIN — Editor of the Arizona Weekly Enterprise, a fiery, eloquent man.
- ELLIE BIGELOW — a determined woman in her twenties.
- SETTLER —
- MME. De GUY — Couturier, runs a dress shoppe for fashionable women
- ARCHIVES CLERK — in his 50’s, wears a guard’s uniform, honorable but overtired part-time worker
- SHERWOOD — a prospector, former guardian to Sofîa
- CHIEF JUSTICE REED —
- REPORTER — is a blunt, straightforward man.
- MR. MALLET-PREVOST — is a distinguished lawyer, conversant with the complexities of Spanish and Mexican law. He speaks with a trace of a cultured Spanish accent. He is in his 50s and has a dark bushy mustache and a trim goatee.
- OTHER SETTLERS
- SHOP ASSISTANTS
- PERSONS IN THE COURTROOM
TIME: Circa 1890s
PLACE: The American West (Arizona and California), Spain, New York City
- MUSICAL #1 — LEGENDS AND SECRETS — (Miguel, Isabel and Company)
- MUSICAL #2 — DISCREET — (Miguel, Isabel)
- MUSICAL #3 — ALL IN GOOD TIME — (Reavis)
- MUSICAL #4 — PAPER AND INK AND PEN — (Reavis, Miguel, Isabel)
- MUSICAL #5 — EL BARON DE ARIZONA — (Miguel, Isabel)
- MUSICAL #6 — I’LL KNOW HER — (Reavis)
- MUSICAL #7 — TOO SOON TO GROW OLD — (Sofía)
- MUSICAL #8 — THE NEW ME — (Sofía)
- MUSICAL #9 — MUCH MORE — (Johnson & Reynolds)
- MUSICAL #10 — THIS LAND IS OURS — (Company)
- MUSICAL #11 — ALL FOR YOU — (Reavis)
- MUSICAL #12 — ABOVE THE CLOUDS! — (Reavis)
- MUSICAL #12a — Scene Change
- MUSICAL #12b — Scene Change
- MUSICAL #12c — Scene Change
- MUSICAL #13 — SOMETHING ISN’T RIGHT PART 1 — (Sofía)
- MUSICAL #13a — Chase Music Underscore (Something Isn’t Right)
- MUSICAL #14 — SOMETHING ISN’T RIGHT PART 2 — (Sofía)
- MUSICAL #15a — LEGENDS AND SECRETS (REPRISE 1) — (Miguel, Isabel and Company
- MUSICAL #15b— LEGENDS AND SECRETS (REPRISE 2) — (Miguel, Isabel)
- MUSICAL #16 — MY PRINCESS — (Sherwood)
- MUSICAL #17 — WHAT A HEADLINE! — (Johnson, Weedin)
- MUSICAL #18 — SCENE CHANGE (LEGENDS) — (Orchestra)
- MUSICAL #19 — SIMPLY SOFIA — (Sofía)
- MUSICAL #20 — SOMETHING ISN’T RIGHT (reprise) — (Chief Justice)
- MUSICAL #21 —EVERY INCH & LEGENDS (reprise 3) — (Company)
This musical is in development and we are looking for a producing partner to take on this story.
Read a copy of the Sofia PERUSAL SCRIPT containing the First Act
Please email us if you are interested.
Part of the PREMIERE PLAY FILE
The following demos are made directly from the Finale Music Notation files, there are no vocals, but the vocal line is played by a vocal sounding instrument.
LYRICS for #1 — Legends and Secrets (©2022 by Joanna Kraus and C. Michael Perry • ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)
A SLIP OF THE TONGUE
A LITTLE LIE
A NUGGET OF TRUTH
THE QUESTION: WHY?
WHERE LITTLE IS KNOWN
RUMORS HAVE FLOWN.
THIS WORLD IS FULL OF SECRETS.
EVERYONE KNOWS A LEGEND;
OR A STORY— LOVE AND GLORY.
CALL IT FORGERY OR FRAUD
A BIT OF SIN,
A DIF’RENT GOD,
OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT’S ODD,
THERE ARE SECRETS NO ONE KNOWS
UNTIL THE DAY THEIR SECRET SHOWS.
AS LONG AS THE SUN SHINES, AND THE WIND BLOWS
AND THE GRASS GROWS,
A SMILE AND A WINK
CAN MAKE YOU THINK
ITS A SECRET NOT EVERYONE KNOWS.
WHISPERINGS IN THE NIGHTIME,
WRONG OR RIGHT, THEY ALL TAKE FLIGHT. I‘M
HERE TO TELL YOU THAT IT’S TRUE,
IT SEEMS AS OLD AS IT DOES NEW,
WITH SOMETHING TO HIDE THE THREAT,
MEET THE ROGUE YOU HAVE’NT MET,
YOU WON’T BELIEVE IT, BUT IT’S TRUE
WE WERE THERE — NOW, SO ARE YOU!