by William Shakespeare
Adapted by C. Michael Perry
Shakespeare’s tragedy of political intrigue set in the South of the American Civil War. The lines of the Bard have been edited, not rewritten. Think of the parallels between the South of the Confederacy and the falling Roman Empire–the upper-class driven government, the overwhelming slave issue, the unpopular yet popular military effort, the plots and ploys concerning political power. For these reasons the play has been set during the Civil War. No dialog has been changed to accommodate this, but the play has been shortened and edited for archaic language. One song, SHENANDOAH, has been inserted as sung by Lucius in the tent, accompanied by his guitar. Perfect for High School and College Theatre Departments, and Youth Theatre Groups.
- 32M 9F + extras
- Doubling possible
- Six settings
- Playing time is about two hours and ten minutes
- Order #3199
- Perusal Pages File available JuliusCasearPERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.)
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account), EMAIL us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3199a : $25.00 (includes the song sheet for ‘Shenandoah’ and the performance royalties for up to SIX performances; will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Additional Amateur/Educational Performance Royalty — Order #3199e : $10.00 (for each performance over 6)
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application (low fee)
- PREMIERE — Spanish Fork High School — 1995
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Julius Caesar: A Confederate Conspiracy
by William Shakespeare
C. Michael Perry
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Julius Caesar: A Confederate Conspiracy” is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of