Wisdom Tree – A Pioneer Musical by Max C. Golightly & Yutonna Kerbs
(For production by College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, LDS & Other Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
A beautiful pioneer show with a cast of Native Americans and European Americans
A gentle and at the same time dynamic story of White Settlers contracted by the US Government to settle near a Ute Indian Reservation in Southern Utah in 1852. As the two groups learn to work and live together there are trials and almost even disaster. But the young people of the two cultures find a way to bring about peace in what could have been a troubled world. The wisdom in the story comes from the Native American tradition of the wise old tree, and supplication to the spirit of that tree, as well as to the Great Spirit, to solve problems. The title song alone is enough reason to produce this lovely musical.
- 7M 6W 4B 2TB 3TG+ extras — Indians: 7M 1B 1TB 1TG + extras — Totals: 14M 6W 5B 3TB 4TG + extras.
- About 2 hours.
- ORDER #2009
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first half of this musical: WisdomTreePERUSAL No performance rights are granted to anyone with the possession of a Perusal Pages Document, nor are you obligated to a performance run by the possession of the document.
- ACT I
- #1 — OVERTURE
- #2 — SILENT YEARS (& UNDERSCORE) (Matt)
- #2a — SILENT YEARS (REPRISE) (Matt & Grammaw)
- #3 — THE GOVERNMENT OF THE U.S.A (Venice, Settlers on the Wagon Train)
- #4 — THE GOVERNMENT OF THE U.S.A. (REPRISE)
- #5 — WHERE HAS HIS LAUGHTER GONE? (Venice)
- #6 — HERE THE WAGONS COME (Townespeople)
- #7 — ROOTS (Widow Daley)
- #8 — THE WILD WEST (Willkie, Tabitha, Gwen Ellen, David, Carlos)
- #9 — WHITE MAN AND INDIAN BOY (Denver, Ignacio)
- #10 — WE STAND HERE A-WAITIN’ (Young People, Townys)
- #11 — I LOVE GUNS (Willkie, John Browntooth Lee)
- #11b — THE STORE SONG
- #12 — WE STAND HERE A-WAITIN’: REPRISE (Townespeople, Indians)
- ACT II
- #13 — IF YOUR HEART’S IN IT (Matt & Jay, Denver & Clay)
- #14 — SAY IT IN FRENCH (Venice & Denver)
- #14a — SAY IT IN FRENCH (Venice & Denver)
- #15 — SQUANDRO’S COUNSEL (Squandro, Cuantro)
- #16 — WISDOM TREE (Penewah)
- #17 — I AM LOVED! (Marga, Guylan)
- #18 — WISDOM TREE: REPRISE (Penewah)
- #19 — HOW DOES A MAN? (Guylan, Venice)
- #20 — CAN’T STAND HERE A-WAITIN’ (Company)
- #22 — FINALE — WISDOM TREE
- #23 — BOWS
SONG SAMPLES — no recordings exist of this score, The Title Song alone is an exquisite piece of writing. Here is a PDF Sample of WisdomTreeSONGSHEET (the song #16, above)
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Script in PDF format — Order #2009a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #2009b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #2009c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2009d : $60.00 (for the first or only performance)
- Second Performance Ward/Stake/Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2009e : $50.00 (for each consecutive performance)
- Professional Performance License can be granted by filling out the Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
NOTE ON SHEET MUSIC OF INDIVIDUAL SONGS: If you are looking for sheet music for a particular song from the show, we can make that available to you for a small fee. We have had a lot of demand for this and, while we love to make the big bucks, we would prefer to just meet you needs and get you the song you want at a more nominal price, which in the end is better for you and easier for us.
- Orem Community Theatre
- Payson Community Theatre
- Premiered by Brigham Young University — 1970
This title is available exclusively from