by Thom Duncan
(For LDS Wards, Stakes and Community Theatres)
In 1911, the Science Department of Brigham Young University sponsored a symposium honoring the 50th year of the anniversary of the publication of Charles Darwin’s groundbreaking work, The Origin of Species. Charles Darwin is considered the father of the theory of Evolution. Because his theories were being freely taught on campus, it was felt by the faculty that the question as to whether his theories about the origin of life were not in conflict with the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had long been settled. Nevertheless, based on some complaints by a minority of students, the issue was re-investigated by the leaders of the Church and the loyalty of three teachers was called into question. Despite their support by the then president of the University, George Brimhall, hundreds of students, and their repeated statements of faith in the Brethren, these three teachers find themselves in conflict with two institutions that they love and respect: stop teaching Evolution or risk losing your jobs. This taut drama explores the conflict between religion and science that remains today.
- Unit Set
- 19m 3w + extras
- About 2 hours
- ORDER #2048
Available for all LDS Groups. This show is part of the PREMIERE PLAY FILE.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file (in PDF format) is available here: SurvivalOfTheFittestPERUSAL
- ZT Performance Licence Application (in PDF format) to download our Performance License Application. No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
REHEARSAL MATERIALS AVAILABLE
- Script in PDF format — Order #2048a : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to make copies for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2048d : As a Premiere Play, royalty will be quoted on application
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2048e : As a Premiere Play, royalty will be quoted on application
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Coming Soon
from the catalog of