Book by ELIZABETH HANSEN & ELAINE HANSEN
Lyrics by C. MICHAEL PERRY & ELIZABETH HANSEN
Music and arrangements by C. MICHAEL PERRY
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
HOW THE WEST WAS DONE is fast paced, toe tapping’, rip roarin’ “Western” show full of authentic American music and original songs that will both delight the heart as well as tug at its strings. The story, I hear’d tell, is like this:
COOKIE, a right likable “swedish meat-ball” of a chuck wagon cook, has sent fer a mail-order bride. He shows up at a remote way-station to wait fer the stage coach when who should he find? A handful of our fav-o-rite Western types: LUCKY, the Gambler; CURLEY, the true-blue Cowboy; and SHERIFF, the…well…Sheriff. Well, sir, after talkin’ and singin’ a handful of great cowboy songs, the four of ‘em come to find that ever’ last one of ‘em is waitin’ fer someone on that stage. Suddenly, Curley gets a feelin’ and puts his ear to the ground. The stage is a comin’. They sing a rousin’ welcome song and head off at a dead run to meet the stage.
Meanwhile, back at the way-station, a ear-shatterin’ crash is heard real close. Then, four of the most disheveled fav-o-rite Western-type women come a staggerin’ on: FRENCHY, the dance hall girl “with the heart of gold;” MISS ELLANEOUS, the girl next door; BELLE, a Southern woman-of-the-world chanteuse; and SHOTGUN, a rough and tumble gal in buckskins. Well, after some talkin’ and singin’ some wonderful old tunes theirselves, they hear the faint voices of our Western heroes a callin’ fer ‘em. But where could these boys be? As good a scout as Shotgun is, she just can’t find where the voices ‘air a comin’ from. Will these poor gals end up a-wanderin’ the Western wilder-ness forever or will they find these menfolk that are a-lookin’ fer them. Well, not wantin’ to spoil it, let’s just say that like all good cowboy stories, everythin’ ends happily fer ever’one concerned.
The show is jam-packed with familiar tunes like SHENANDOAH, SHE’LL BE COMIN’ ROUND THE MOUNTAIN, SWEET BETSY FROM PIKE, RED RIVER VALLEY, STREETS OF LAREDO, HOME ON THE RANGE, DANNY BOY, and a whole bunch more, not to mention ORIGINAL SONGS that make the stage resound with glorious voices, laughs, and perhaps a touching moment or two. The show runs about 75 minutes and all in all is a wholesome and delightful yarn for the whole family.
- 4M 4W
- Several simple exteriors
- Period Costumes.
- Order #1002
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first act of this 2-act musical: HowTheWestWasDonePERUSAL
- #1 — How The West Was Done –Entire Cast
- #2 — There’s a Stage Coach A’Comin’ — Lucky, Curly, Cookie, Sheriff
- #3 — The Wild Wild West — Sam, Frenchy, Miss Ellaneous, Belle
- #4 — Be Lonesome — Sam, Frenchy, Miss Ellaneous, Belle
- #5 — Oh, Susannah! — Women
- #6 — That NoGud Man — Frenchy
- #7 — The Lonely Men Medley (including “Clementine,” “I’m A Rambler, I’m A Gambler,” “Home On The Range,”’The Lone Prairie.”) — Lucky, Curly, Cookie, Sheriff
- #8 — Can Can — Frenchy & The Men
- #8b — Can Can Dance — Frenchy & The Men
- #8c — Scene Change
- #9 — Shenandoah — Belle, Sam, Frenchy, Miss Ellaneous, Lucky, Curly, Cookie,
- #10 — Comin’ Round The Mountain — Belle, Sam, Frenchy, Miss Ellaneous, Lucky, Curly, Cookie, Sheriff,
- #11 — Too Good To Be True — Curly, Miss, Cookie, Frenchy, Sheriff, Sam, Lucky
- #12 — A Bit Of This And That — Curly, Miss, Cookie, Frenchy, Sheriff, Sam, Lucky & Belle
- #13 — FINALE: How The West Was Done! — The Ensemble
- #14 — Curtain Call
- #15 — Playout/Exit Music
SONG SAMPLES are made directly from the Finale music software. The melody line is not sung, but played by an instrument that stands out.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
- Performance License Application: No production rights can be granted until this application is filled out and sent to us. This is a filler form that after you click “SUBMIT” will send directly to our email address. Response averages 2-3 business days.
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #1002a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #1002b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #1002c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #1002d : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #1002e : Royalty terms quoted on application
- Professional Royalty terms will be quoted upon application.
- Orchestration in PDF format — Order #1002h : $90.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) Small Combo Arrangements are available for this show with the following instrumentation: Full Drum Kit, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Violin, Double Bass.
- Lift Your Spirits Performing Arts, Ashland Pennsylvania — November 2020
- Utah Valley University — 2005
- Premiered at Thanksgiving Point (for the 2002 Olympics) — 2002 (HTWWDtpointPHOTOS)
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
HOW THE WEST WAS DONE
Originally Conceived and Directed by
Story Line by
Elaine Hansen and Elizabeth Hansen
New Book and Lyrics by
New Lyrics and Music Composed, Adapted and Arranged by
C. Michael Perry
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“How the West Was Done is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of