Especially designed for child/youth performers performing for children. But works well in other applications, also.
Can be played by children and/or adults for child and family audiences. The Ugly Duckling is cast off and scorned because he is seen as “different” from the very moment he hatches from a large awkward egg. He is at once chased from the castle yard while all the animals make fun of him. He is then rejected by an Old Woman and her pets and finally spends a long cold winter huddling in a marsh. When Spring brings two hunters with guns to the marsh, the Ugly Duckling courageously saves a beautiful swan from being shot by them. It is then that he finally realizes that he is also a swan and is immediately accepted by the swans who praise him for bravery. At long last, he finds love and acceptance, and the place where he really belongs.
Also a part of THREE TIMELESS TALES
- 24 characters: 4m 5f 15 either (can be doubled to 9 players)
- Simple Setting and fairytale/animal costumes/makeup
- About 30 minutes
- ORDER #3295
- A copy of the PERUSAL SCRIPT (in PDF format) which contains half of the script of the play is available Ugly Duckling PERUSAL
- 3 SONG DEMOS available on THREE TIMELESS TALES page
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3295a : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #3295c : $12.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- There is no VOCAL BOOK for this production.
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3295d : $40
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3295e : $35
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Premiered by The Afternoon Players — 2020 (interrupted by Covid-19)
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
The Ugly Duckling
a play for children
Book and Lyrics by George and Gayanne Ramsden King
Music and Additional Lyrics by C. Michael Perry & Mylee Bell
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“The Ugly Duckling is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”