Tim Slover, Assistant Professor, directs the playwriting and London Study Abroad programs for the University of Utah Department of Theatre, where he also teaches dramatic literature and script analysis. His plays have been produced off-Broadway and in professional regional and university theatres all over the US and in Canada. Tim’s writing awards include the Grand Prize in the 65th Annual Writers Digest Writers Awards; the Christopher Brian Wolk Award for Playwriting Excellence; a Cine Golden Eagle; a Freedoms Foundation George Washington Honor Medal; a Hopwood Award for Best Play; an American Screenwriters Association Award, three Association for Mormon Letters playwriting awards (plus an honorable mention), and he was also a finalist for a Television Arts and Sciences Community Service Emmy. His plays are published by the Samuel French Co., Encore Performance Publishing, Leicester Bay Theatricals and Zion Theatricals. More of his writing has appeared in the National Biography of American Theatre, Sunstone Magazine, and been published by Signature Books (Proving Contraries) and Silverleaf Press. Tim earned his BA in English at BYU and his MA and PhD in English Language and Literature at the University of Michigan.
The Fulton Theatre in Lancaster, PA, commissioned and premiered two of Tim’s plays, TREASURE (2004) and LIGHTNING ROD (2006). In 2006 he was appointed writer-in-residence at nearby Franklin & Marshall College. In the fall of 2008 his play, JOYFUL NOISE, received a staged reading at the Hampstead Theatre’s Michael Frayn Space in London. DESPISED, his screenplay of JOYFUL NOISE, is optioned by Slickrock Films. His new eight-part radio drama, THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES, aired December 2009 on KBYU FM.
His newest play, VIRTUE was written in association with the Penn State University School of Theatre, and further developed in the New Plays Workshop of the University of Utah’s Department of Theatre and writers groups in Salt Lake City and Provo. (Thank you, everyone!) VIRTUE was also given a staged reading in London June 2008 as part of the Arch 468 Propects Series.
Tim Slover’s writing includes:
- The Christmas Chronicles (novel published by Random House)
- Messiah: the Little-known Story of Handel’s Beloved Oratorio (published by Silverleaf Press)
- A More Perfect Union, the screenplay for PBS
- Joyful Noise (a play) (published by Samuel French), which has been produced off-Broadway and in England and Canada. (AML Award Winner — 1996)
- March Tale (a play) (published by Samuel French) (AML Award Winner — 1995)
- Hancock County (a play) (Available through Zion Theatricals) (AML Award Honorable Mention — 2002) (Hancock County received another staged reading in the fall of 2013, in addition to it’s other productions)
- The DreamBuilder (a play) (Available through Leicester Bay Theatricals/Zion Theatricals)
- God’s Fisherman (a play co-authored with James Arrington) (Available through Zion Theatricals)
- Treasure (a play about Alexander Hamilton) (AML Award Winner — 2006)(Available through Leicester Bay Theatricals)
- Lightning Rod (a play about Benjamin Franklin) (Available through Leicester Bay Theatricals)
- Virtue (a play) (in process)
- Despised (a screenplay of Joyful Noise)
- The Christmas Chronicles (radio drama)
- Cassidy (a play about the outlaw) (in process)
Two Plays On the Founding Fathers –TREASURE & LIGHTNING ROD PRINT BOOK (Book 10 of the Playwrights on the Page SERIES)