(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups)
Based on the life of Russian author, Ivan Turgenev, this taut play is very Chekhovian in nature. Its characters are richly drawn and full of repressed sensuality. Their lives and loves interweave, creating a tapestry of Russia during the middle 1800’s — the Russia of the Tsar — the Russia of both the privileged few and the peasant working class. (sounds like America of the early 2000s) It is fascinating to notice that–despite the social upheaval that led to its eventual dissolution and once more the former USSR — much remains as before. In its poignant irony, Turgenev’s own personal story surpasses those he penned which, in Western Europe, won for him such acclaim. In the person of this humanitarian idealist, the play illustrates the hypocrisy and self-deception of many a well-intended intellectual. Contains adult situations and language.
- 4M 2W 2TG
- One Interior
- 2 hours
- ORDER #3059
Available for ALL producing groups.
- The Perusal Pages File (in PDF format) can be read by clicking GentleBarbarianPERUSAL It contains the first act of the script.
- This and other plays by Thomas F. Rogers may be read in the new publication: The Plays of Thomas F. Rogers Volume 1 : Perestroika and Glasnost (the FIVE plays included are: Charades, Crime and Punishment, God’s Fools, The Idiot, and The Second Priest. You can purchase the five play volume HERE for $16.00 (saving $3.99 off the list price) and getting to read five of Tom Rogers’ plays about Russia before, during and after Communism. Introduction by Bob Nelson, Professor of Theatre at University of Utah.
- Volume 2 of The Plays of Thomas F. Rogers : Personal Journeys, is also available containing SEVEN titles: Frére Lawrence, Gentle Barbarian, The Immortal, The Seagull, Siegfried Idyll, The Wager, and A Good Man Is Hard To Find (a short play), all dealing with personal struggles, choice, accountability and consequences. The entire Volume 2 is available HERE.Introduction by Tim Slover, Professor of Theatre at University of Utah.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3059a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3059d : $75
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3059e : $65
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Coming Soon
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
Thomas F. Rogers
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Gentle Barbarian is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the Catalog of