(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools)
A family in the deep south — mother, father, grandmother, juvenile son and daughter — take an innocent excursion into the countryside from which none of them is fated to return. Their nemesis is an escaped convict, the Misfit, who, with his two young accomplices, dispatches each of them in turn. The last of his victims, the grandmother, pleads for mercy. As she does so, her own shallowness and hypocrisy come to light. The Misfit in turn reprimands his accomplices for taking pleasure in the executions. In its enigmatic way, this one act play — based on Flannery O’Connor’s celebrated story of the same name — raises hard questions about mortality, goodness and Christian salvation. This is a particularly difficult play. It is dark, nearly demonic, yet almost prescient in the light that the original story was written back in the 1950s and this type of ‘event’ happens all too frequently in the 21st Century. Some may wonder why it is included here, among “family” offerings. It is definitely NOT for children, or even young teens. But it is a vital piece of theatre that examines the Human condition and sends out a plea for reason and sanity. It is not crude. It is horrifying. It is not only entertainment. It is enlightenment.
- 4M 3W 1TB 1TG
- About 30 minutes
- ORDER #3060
Available for production by ALL producing groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first half of this one act play: GoodManIsHardToFindPERUSAL
- This and other plays by Thomas F. Rogers may be read in the new publication: The Plays of Thomas F. Rogers Volume 1 : Perestroika and Glasnost (the FIVE plays included are: Charades, Crime and Punishment, God’s Fools, The Idiot, and The Second Priest. You can purchase the five play volume HERE for $16.00 (saving $3.99 off the list price) and getting to read five of Tom Rogers’ plays about Russia before, during and after Communism. Introduction by Bob Nelson, Professor of Theatre at University of Utah.
- Volume 2 of The Plays of Thomas F. Rogers : Personal Journeys, is also available containing SEVEN titles: Frére Lawrence, Gentle Barbarian, The Immortal, The Seagull, Siegfried Idyll, The Wager, and A Good Man Is Hard To Find (a short play), all dealing with personal struggles, choice, accountability and consequences. The entire Volume 2 is available HERE.Introduction by Tim Slover, Professor of Theatre at University of Utah.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3060a : $10.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3060d : $30
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3060e : $25
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Coming Soon
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
A Good Man Is Hard To Find
Thomas F. Rogers
(from the story by Flannery O’Connor)
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“A Good Man Is Hard To Find is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
Available exclusively from